Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2007 ninja sitting for 3 years and now it will not even crank with jumpers attached. I know I'll have to drain the gas before it will properly start, but I was surprised that it won't even try to turn over. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would suggest starting with a brand new battery, if it's been sitting three years it's gonna need one. Check all wiring and fuses to make sure they are intact. Then I would use a multi-tester to make sure your getting power to the starter. Also, sounds stupid, but check that the kill switch is in the run position.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
3 years is long enough for the engine's oil film to have long since broken down.

if you just start the engine and go, you can do a lot of damage.

here are some things to do before you start the engine and go.

replace the battery, 3 sitting years is long enough to kill a car battery, let alone a motorcycle battery.

change oil, while sitting around shouldn't break the oil down, water can condense in it or it might have needed an oil change when it was put away. any way it is best to change the oil.

change brake fluid, again water condenses in it.

change the fuel.

check tires, if it was stored outside the tires definitely need to change, if not it is still a good idea.

lube the chain at least or replace if needed.

check the intake tract, and replace the air filter. i have found mouse nests in intakes (this is mostly a problem for engines that were stored outside).

pull the spark plugs, spray some wd40 into the cylinders.

now crank the engine over for a while, this is to get oil pumping through.

after doing that for a while, put new spark plugs in.

see if the bike will start. If it does, let it idle for a while before you start riding.

when you start riding, start slow, see if there is anything you missed that needs your attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts