Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I forget the years but there was a rash of that happening to them. I buddy of mine was at a track day In Ohio and that happened to a guy on the track.

From what I gathered under limited research, it was breaking the weld at the top section of the frame.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Suzuki never issued a recall from what I can recall but they were addressing the issue none the less.
It's pretty well known and fairly wide spread and you can find the damaged frames plentiful on ebay.
Weld penetration was the issue and there was some type of gusset epoxy retro-fix that Suzuki issued as their solution to the problem.
I believe that once your bike has been documented to hit the track, for competition use, all claims are off against breakage but I'm not positive on that.
It also covers the bike in or out of warranty and is not limited to the original owner either.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,893 Posts
The one that was widely known to have issues were the 2005 and 2006 GSX-R 1000, for those Suzuki DID issue a recall and the reinforcements were added to the frame.

For the rest of Suzukis, 07 1000's, 600s and 750s there are no recalls and Suzuki has never accepted an issue with them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The one that was widely known to have issues were the 2005 and 2006 GSX-R 1000, for those Suzuki DID issue a recall and the reinforcements were added to the frame.

For the rest of Suzukis, 07 1000's, 600s and 750s there are no recalls and Suzuki has never accepted an issue with them.

I guess the steering head separating from the frame should be regarded as an inconvenience rather than an "issue"

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,893 Posts
I guess the steering head separating from the frame should be regarded as an inconvenience rather than an "issue"
There werent as many cases of the others breaking as the 05-06 1000. If that had been the case, Suzuki would have come out with another recall, just there isn't enough evidence of that being a common ocurrence for that to happen.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What I heard was it was doing wheelies. The neck wasn't stressed for slamming down again. I always thought Suzi's had heavy front ends anyway.
If you prefer handling, get a Yama
If you want gobs of power, get the Kaw.
If you aren't sure which you prefer, get a Suzui.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,893 Posts
:bangdesk

The story with the frames breaking is quite more simple than people make it to be. Suzuki introduced robotic frame welding in the 05 GSX-R 1000, other models would remain human/hand welded until redesigned. They screwed it, simple as that. After frames started breaking they must have gone and tested random samples of frames and found an abnormal amount of defects, so they came up with the frame reinforcements and issued the recall.

Obviously, frames breaking is not trivial, so there is a bit of histeria going on, every frame that broke after that was considered to be the same defect. 07+ GSX-R 1000 and 06+ 600/750 are robot welded, very few cases of those frames breaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts