Sport Bikes banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm thinking about picking up a new Bandit 1250 myself. What kind of gas mileage do you get?
Overall MPG last year was 47 on the 4K miles I put on her since Labor Day Weekend through Halloween. This included the break-in period and all kinds of riding in all kinds of temperatures -- commuting, touring, 2-up, etc. It varied from 42 up to 50.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So now that the new riding season is upon us here in the northeast, I thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update on the Bandit.

After a long Winter nap while snuggled up to a Battery Tender, I dug the Bandit out of the back of the garage and she fired right up. No hesitation. It was as if she had been running all along. Check the tire pressures, check the fluids, lube the chain, and off I went. My first stop on my first ride of a new season is a large parking lot at a nearby church for some figure 8's, emergency braking practice, and obstacle avoidance to shake the rust off. A couple hundred mile ride is just what the doctor ordered to stir the soul and kill a tank of stabilized fuel.

Things I had kind of forgotten since my last ride of 2007: 1) this bike just has amazing amounts of torque. I had to watch myself in the turns and keep that right wrist in check, 2) the hydraulic clutch takes some muscle and is much easier if I use three fingers instead of two, 3) the underside of my right arm gets sore pretty quickly when the throtle is engaged and I'm covering the brake with my first two digits, 3) the amount of power at your disposal is deceiving given how quiet this bike is, 4) I need to install a Stebel horn, a radiator guard, some crash bars or frame sliders, and 5) the 1250 does so much so well, that it's easily the best bang for the buck ride I've ever purchased.

Today I had my wife on the back for a lazy 125 mile. She had no coimplaints at all. That in itself is amazing. The Suzuki side cases and top case swallow up everything you can throw at them. She tips the scales at a scant 115 but it was as if no one was back there. She felt at ease and comfortable. No buffeting problems for her at all. I would like to take another look at communication systems, with an eye on the wireless ones since the spaghetti mess of the one on the ST1300 was always a nuisance.

I rode out to the dealer to grab a couple of oil filters and saw my trade-in from last yeaar still sitting there. Poor little 919. I felt bad that she hadn't been snatched up yet. But I have no regrets. I've had many bikes over the last 7 years (7 bikes in 7 years) but this one is a keeper. A new horn, maybe a touring shield, a commmunications system, some sliders, some handlebar angle adjustment (or possibly some riders), and a radiator guard and I have the bike that does everything I want. And does it all very well.

Keuka Lake, New York, April 2008

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a chance to get an red 07 Bandit 1250S for around 8k..is the abs worth it or would I be fine with the non-abs version?
You should be able to get an '07 non ABS for just over 7k. Plus tax, etc. Ofcourse depending on where you are that might be 8k OTD,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brakes: My first bike with ABS. Didn't engage it on this ride, but the 'whir' from the front brake is interesting if you've never heard it before. Aside from that, plenty of stopping power all in all. The levers feel a little spongy but nothing some braided lines won't cure.
The non-ABS version also has the front brake 'whir'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I should also mention that the OP's review is spot-on. This really is the perfect do-it-all (except for muddin') bike.
I've ridden 1500 miles beyond break-in so far, and gas mileage has been remarkably consistent at 43.5 MPG.

No bike is perfect from the factory though. I have a few gripes, but there are solutions available for them all.

Mirrors: I have a long armspan, so I need to pick up a set of mirror extensions. I've tried orienting the mirrors every which way and I still see more of my elbows than I'd like, especially when wearing my jacket. Hopefully the extensions won't add too much vibration.

Tires: The stock Dunlop tires wear quickly. I don't think my rear tire will make it to 3500 miles. The road feel is great under most conditions, but the bike is very tail-happy when leaned over. This probably has a lot to do with the sheer torque the bike puts out, but it seems like the rear tire just doesn't have enough contact patch on the sides. I've already slid 3 times without even trying. And they are downright scary in the rain. (partly because the center patch is almost to the wear indicators now)

Chin spoiler: Stay away from the OEM chin spoiler option if you like to ride "aggressively." It's the first thing to make contact with the pavement at extreme lean angles. On my bike, the nuts on the bottom of the footpegs are still pristine, but I have a 3" x 1" scrape on the right underbelly of the chin spoiler.

Fuel gauge: The "resolution" of the fuel gauge is worthless. The bars closer to "F" go by quickly; 35-45 miles per bar. But the last bar before "E" will go almost 60 miles before it starts flashing. And when that last bar starts flashing, you're critically low on fuel, with <15 miles to go before you run dry. So it remains necessary to use the trip meter to accurately judge fuel level.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Agreed on all points, pyro. Not sure about the chin spoiler though, I'm not a fan of them and won't add one to the Bandit. The lower fairing on the other hand could be in the cards!

I added mirror extensions and they do help a lot. Still not great, but I'm spoiled by CRG bar end mirrors I had on the 919.

The stock 1250 tires are garbage. Tires should either be sticky or durable. The stock tires are neither. Just added some Michelin PR 2's and the difference is night and day.

The fuel gauge is the biggest early bird I've ever had on a bike. It's a bit annoying at first but you get used to it.

Another nit is the speedometer. It's overly optimistic. And since I recently dropped a tooth on the front sprocket (to a 17) it's even worse. A Speedohealer is in my near future.

So, this month I decided to spend a bit of my 'surplus' check at Holeshot Performance. Dale Walker and his crew are a joy to work with. I ordered Dale's new Stage 1 kit -- Comp2 17" Touring Slip-On, TFI Tuning Box, o2 Bypass Module, and K&N filter. Remarkable transformation. The Bandit motor is amazing. But adding Dale's goodies really let's it breath and opens up its potential. Takes the HP up to 115 and the torque up to 92 ft-lb's (all down low in the very usable part of the powerband). It makes this engine the smoothest pulling bike I've ever ridden.

His new header is in testing now and after 285 Dyno runs, he's getting 135HP and 96 ft lb's. We anxiously await the first production run...

·
Registered
38 Posts
SO what about some more pics 2 up?

HI to everyone, I guess I have read this thread several times, every time I find one more reason to buy this bike. By any chance do you have more pics of you and the bike? ok I want to see if you have one 2 up?

Also is this a good bike for 2 up? we are 180 and 120 lbs, 5'7" and 5'4", I currently have a KLR and I just want something more comfy for 2 up. Speed? brakes? how are they when 2-up? Lights? passing power?

OK gracias amigos

Damasito

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Damasito - I do not have a picture of us 2-up on the Bandit. But the good news is that me and my wife weigh exactly the same - 180 and 120. The Bandit handles it amazingly well. It's hard to tell anyone is back there, and she is very pleased with the comfort.

Part of the reason I bought this bike is that I just love torque. You'll be hard pressed to find a bike with more torque this low in the power band. This equates to really comfortable, smooth 2-up riding. Passing is a breeze. It's rare to have to downshift to pass. Brakes are fantastic but I have ABS on this model. Lights are OK and I will likely upgrade the bulbs at some point.

Also, the OEM side cases and top case, just make it a very capable tourer. Plenty of room for stuff for two!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an 08 ABS. Do you have any pictures of the new exhaust? Also where can i find a good touring shield and engine guards?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just bought an 08 ABS. Do you have any pictures of the new exhaust? Also where can i find a good touring shield and engine guards?
Congrats on the new ride! And welcome to the forum!

I don't have any pics of the slip-on but I got it from Holeshot Performance Products, Inc. and it looks exactly like this:

I'm very pleased with the new exhaust. It has a nice pleasant exhaust note at idle and low RPM's and then really growls when you twist the wrist.

Touring shield - funny you should ask! Last week I installed a new Power Bronze tinted touring shield and it's fantastic. It feels like I'm riding a different bike. The stock screen deflected wind right at my face. I'm 5'9". As a result, I'd get some lower neck pain from trying to keep my head level on highway speeds. The Powerbronze shield deflects the wind at the top of my helmet, and it's clean air with no buffeting. I've yet to ride with a passenger with this new screen so I don't know how it will be for a passenger. If you are taller and need higher wind management, GIVI and Double Bubble also make screens for the Bandit and they are a bit higher.

Engine guards - the choice is pretty limited. GSG-Moto makes some sliders. They look great but are pretty pricey. I opted for some engine guards from Holeshot. Dale calls them 'Nerf Bars' and they are great. Perfect fit and finish.

As you can see, Bandit info is pretty scarce here. There is a fantastic forum with thousands of Bandit owners over on Maximum-Suzuki Forums - Index - I highly recommend the place. I'm KenB over there as well - stop by and say hi!

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Hey, what happened with your Triumph Sprint aspirations?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I decided to pass. The Bandit is a tremendous bike, it does just what I need it to do, and it does it very well.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts