Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
insanity or genius
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the latest edition of cycleworld magazine puts the 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 with abs up against the 2007 Yamaha FZ-1.

The results are surprising, despite the new generation of Bandits being fattened up and calmed down from the original Bandits, the 536 pound missle with only 99 dynoed horsepower ran an 11 flat quarter mile.
Impressive, better than that is the 78 pounds of torque available all over the range of power and the perfect throttle response at any setting.

The FZ-1 is a monster 130 hp plus, 10.56 quarter mile but still some fuel injection problems, lighter weight too a mere 472 pounds. Dont get me wrong, I love the FZ-1, I want Suzuki to make a superbike engine powered naked or better yet semi naked bike. I used to love the FZ-1 with carbs, doesnt ever seem like yamaha is going to get the fuleing right? whats it been 3 years??

The tale of the tape however is torque, useable power within the powerband we use on the street.
The Bandit put out more than 30 ft pounds MORE than the superbike motored FZ-1 at 3000 rpm, then carried an advantage of more than 20 ft pounds all the way till 7000 rpm!

Thats useable power my friends, where it counts, sure the FZ-1 has the top end quarter mile charge, but the Bandit eats it up coming out of the hole and doesnt have to be revved to death to do it, cool.

In top gear at equal cruising speed the Bandit revs 1100 rpm less than the FZ and no vibration!

I just wanted to praise a great concept that begun over a decade ago, the Suzuki Bandit. The bike is a do it all bike for real road riders, tour, spank the twistys, wheelie, burnout or ride to church she does it all and does it well.
Im not a poser I am a rider and the Bandit is for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the bandit is a great bike no doubt. But there are a few easy and somewhat cheap mods that will get the midrange back into the FZ-1 and push the HP to 150 ish. And then its no contest.

Granted Im sure you can improve the Bandit too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Bandit is a sleeper bike in the U.S. I've had a 01 1200 for about a yr and real happy with. The naked bike weighs about 475 dry& 110 hp with a Scorpion exhaust. You can keep up with almost any bikeand the look does'nt attract police attention.

·
insanity or genius
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is nothing that will bring the FZ-1's torque to anywhere near the Bandits curve,
The factory has not been able to cure the fuel injection problems on the FZ for 3 years, the Bandits throttle response is absolutely perfect from idle to top speed.
The FZ-1 will always outrun the Bandit on top, but thats not where we are riding 95% of the time is it?
However I will give you this, the FZ is a cool top end rocket and you can improve either bike for $500 to $2000, but thats not really what my ride tonights about.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Hello to all. I hang out on the FZ6 forum - as I have a '6 - but I wanted to post what my friend Gene, who will be 73 this fall, purchased Friday before Memorial Day. He used to ride but hasn't for awhile. He didn't have his endorsement yet so guess who got to ride it 45 miles home for him?:banana

VERY nice bike. Y'all are right about the torque. Great mirrors, best tranny and clutch I think I've ever used in 23 years of riding. It's eery how similar the Bandit is to my '6 although it;s riding position is more relaxed. Great bike to eat the miles up with hour after hour. Had I waited a year and had the $ I would have had a hard choice between the Bandit and the 6. Igot my FZ6 for 6k OTD. We over on the FZ6 Forum say it's the best value for the $ and the Bandit is right there.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice ride - HIJACK

I looked at a (sort of slate blue) 1250 Bandit and a silver FZ1 side-by-side in a stealership today. My BH did not like the color of the Suzuki as much as that of my (faster) blue FZ6. Bandit looked a lot "b*****" than the FZ1.:fiddy

My BH wants me to get a "b***** bike" for I-89 commuting. A V-Max, FZ-1, FJR, VTX1800 or something. Who am I to argue?:banana

1 - 8 of 8 Posts