Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm finally looking to buy another bike with a budget of around 3k. I found a 2006 zx6r for $2600 obo on Craigslist, which is basically an unheard of price for a 06 600 ss in my area. Only catch is that is has 28,xxx miles.

Heres the link: 2006 Kawasaki zx6r/636

I know people say that mileage is not a big deal if the bike has been taken care of, but I'm wary to buy someone else's headache.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The price worries me. Surely there is something else wrong with it that the owner hopes to blind buyers to with the low asking price.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
He's probably having a hard time selling it because people think 28k miles is high and it's slightly rashed. What worries me more is he said it has a new clutch. I'd check the fork seals as it might have been stunted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering the majority of 06 and newer super sports in my area all seem to have milage of <15,000, yeah. I do.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
My F4i has nearly twice that

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My 05 636 had almost twice that mileage when i bought it. The low low price from the get go does concern me and i think there is a good chance this bike was stunted if it already warranted a new clutch.

And...the page is gone.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Holy shit that motor is going to explode with 28K miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it even lasted that long. DON'T DO IT

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Considering the majority of 06 and newer super sports in my area all seem to have milage of <15,000, yeah. I do.
Just because a lot of people let their bikes sit around collecting dust doesn't make 28k a lot of miles. My Ducati has that many on it, and it's pristine. My ZX6 had a hell of a lot more than that when I sold it and it was pretty damn clean as well. Mileage means nothing, condition and maintenance history is what matters. You can ride a bike for 28k and keep it nearly showroom new, or you can absolutely destroy it in that same time.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My bike has 37,000+ miles. It used to make 100hp, now it makes 10, there's oil coming out of everywhere, it drinks oil and spew smoke, it coughs and weezes, it hates hot starts. Oh my poor bike. This all started happening after the much fear 25,000 mile mark. I turned over that mileage and instantly nuts and bolts and shit just start spewing out of the bike with oil seeping everywhere.

Oh my God, the HIGH MILES! :tremble:sad

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
My 2014 Versys already has 15,000 miles, I've had it for 7 months...

When I sold my XT660R, with 26000 miles I had a really hard time selling it. Everybody complained about the mileage. The bike was mint, it was a 2005 bike, in 2014, with 26000 miles... Barely 3000 miles a year.

Honestly, I rather buy a bike that has been ridden, and maintained, than a bike that has been sitting, collecting dust. If someone doesn't bother riding a bike, I doubt they'll be on top of the maintenance. An 8 year old bike with few miles could very well be a bike that has spent several years without moving!

·
Registered
743 Posts
The only reason those miles would make me think twice would be the fear that he didn't keep up with valve checks. A lot of the squids down here are like "valve check? Huh? Yeah... I did that... ever time I changed the oil or something"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts