Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a 2006 R6(R) not R6s. 23k miles
I'm having an issue restarting hours later after a ride to work. I have no problems starting in the morning (does take a couple extra cranks but within a couple seconds) and it's a little luggy when it's revved for a bit but that goes away quickly.
It runs very strong after a mile or so.
Ok so I have a 20 some mile commute to work and my only issue (aside from squared off tires) is I have a tough time restarting after 9-10 hours later.
It starts every time BUT takes 30-45 seconds of cranking in 5 second intervals.
The engine turns and turns, everything sounds quite healthy when I'm pushing the starter it just doesn't start. The fuel pump engages and cycles upon turn key. Battery is very strong
What do you all think? I have very very limited time to wrench so I'd like a strong direction to head into any endeavors

It did sit for a few months from previous female and neglectful owner.
Only add on is a micron slip on.
No power commander

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I'd first try some Sea Foam in the gas tank as directed on the package. The injectors may be a bit gummed up from sitting if the fuel wasn't stabilized.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mentioning already did a full treatment with those few tanks of gas. I checked to see how it looked when I brought it home and it wasn't to bad (not good but not the worst I've seen)
I think I'm going to suck it up and spend a full day:
Checking valves
Plugs
Oil
Coolant flush
New air filter
Power commander (if it arrives on time)

Any other ideas? I've heard these 06's have some mysterious gremlin that does this...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Forgot to mentioning already did a full treatment with those few tanks of gas. I checked to see how it looked when I brought it home and it wasn't to bad (not good but not the worst I've seen)
I think I'm going to suck it up and spend a full day:
Checking valves
Plugs
Oil
Coolant flush
New air filter
Power commander (if it arrives on time)

Any other ideas? I've heard these 06's have some mysterious gremlin that does this...

As with any new bike, you should flush all the fluids right away, just for peace of mind. This particular issue sounds like fuel, but it's hard to say right off the bat. Make sure your battery is putting out the correct voltage, and 26k miles is the mileage required for a valve clearance check/adjustment, so you might as well do that now. While you're at it, sync the throttle bodies too. After some new plugs and some fresh gas, with all that other stuff I bet she purrs like a kitten.

The only issue a 2006/07 R6 *may* have is sometimes they kill when coasting to a stop (allegedly, I've never had it happen to me) but you should be able to start it right up again. Also, the rod bearings don't get enough oil at redline, and if you're a total dick to it (redlining the motor, then dropping two gears on corner entry kind of thing) you can make the motor go pop. Otherwise they're sound as a pound.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran new fuel treatment with 100 octane, new plugs and checked the gap on the old ones and they were off, and it starts much easier.
Problem solved :) too bad my bike got smashed into in a parking lot wends night...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Holy shit, that sucks.. Well as long as you're tearing into it I'd still sync the throttle bodies and check the valve clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts