Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... I'm going to buy a brand new bike once I get back from BCT in Fort Benning, Georgia for the Army... I was curious what everyone else's opinions were about these two bikes the... 2006 Kawi ZX-6R and the 2006 Honda CBR600RR... It's hard to really know who to believe because they both aren't in the same store so I have a Kawi dealer telling me really good things about the Kawi and bad things about the Honda but the Honda dealer telling me good things about the Honda and bad things about the Kawi... So I figured I could probably just you all more than them since they are just looking for a paycheck instead of looking out for someones life... Thanks in advance everyone...

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
Honda more polished, kwak more exciting with a mighty motor. If you are short on experience both wouldn't be a very good starting point but of the two I would trust the honda more.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
deftones156 said:
sigh...
1. Do you have any riding experience?
2. Is this your first bike?
There, I opened the floodgates...
3. Have you taken the MSF?
4. How many years of driving experience do you have?
5. Do you have gear?
6. If you answered No to #5 - Do you have the money to buy the neccessary gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants)?
7. Do you respond well to criticism?

And to clarify, riding a friend's bike around a parking lot or open field doesn't constitute riding experience.

:popcorn

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
bush said:
3. Have you taken the MSF?
4. How many years of driving experience do you have?
5. Do you have gear?
6. If you answered No to #5 - Do you have the money to buy the neccessary gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, pants)?
7. Do you respond well to criticism?

And to clarify, riding a friend's bike around a parking lot or open field doesn't constitute riding experience.

:popcorn
well, his age does say 18, so I think that answers #4.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
deftones156 said:
well, his age does say 18, so I think that answers #4.
Could be anywhere from 0 to 3, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anything less than 3 years and I'd shelf the bike idea for a while.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't buy a new bike, plain and simple.

Look into an older mid-90's cbr. They still look great, still have way more power than you're going to need as a newb, and when you drop it, you won't cry.

Price fairings on a 2006 bike. Then price full coverage insurance. Then price gear. I doubt an E-1 or E-2 can really afford all that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm eighteen also and have been riding street bikes (cruisers and sport) for six years...my parents are brave I guess. Everyone told me to try the older bikes, but they are so much heavier than the newer ones (I'm 5'3" and weigh about 100lbs). I've ridden the 05 CBR600, but I bought the 636...I just liked the feel of the bike better. Trust your own instincts, they're both good bikes. Also, try GMAC insurance.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
If you have experience I would take the kwak. It looks great and has an awesome motor while I've heard the honda tends to be a bit heavy.

·
Lost in the pickle matrix
1,544 Posts
I was hopnig this thread would give me some insight as I'm in the same position and am considering those 2 bikes as well as my last choice. As you can tell I am currently a honda guy but I really like the new 636 as well.

Anybody know which bike provides the passanger a more comfortable ride? My girlfriend rides with me a lot and it'll play into my decision.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
bittersweetryan said:
I was hopnig this forum would give me some insight as I'm in the same position and am considering those 2 bikes as well as my last choice. As you can tell I am currently a honda guy but I really like the new 636 as well.

Anybody know which bike provides the passanger a more comfortable ride? My girlfriend rides with me a lot and it'll play into my decision.
I can't speak about the kwak, but the in the 600RR's write up at Motorcyclenews.com, they basically said that riding pillion on that bike would not be all that much fun. That's all I can tell you about that...

·
1,544 Posts
Just by looks it seems like the zx would be a better fit for a passanger with its textured seat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I sat on a kwak at the Kawasaki dealer and it is a much wider bike. Things are thicker than the Honda, which tends to be skinny and built pure for road racing. There is no unneccesary items on the Honda. The same goes for the Kawasaki, but the Kawi seems to have a lot more "better quaility looking parts" on it. Its all about what you want in a bike. I like small narrow bikes, so I would choose Honda, plus all my cars and racecars that I own and have owned have all been Hondas, and I must admit I have loved all them. (One chevy, but they dont make bikes).

The Kawi just seems to have a bulky apperance, therefore the Honda may be an easier bike to throw around the corners. The Kawi will have more power. Also the Kawi has a softer seat, but if you really love riding, you'll get over the CBR's mousepad. But remember, if you buy the Honda, you also buy the reliability.

Also, my friend had a girl ride pillion on his on a three hour trip on his CBR, she had no complaints whatsoever. I had a Radian 600 with a comfier seat, so I always wonder why she didn't ride with me! :confused:

:cheers Good luck!

·
1,544 Posts
Why is the honda not a good every day bike? Aggressive ergos, hard seat?

I know this sounds like a trivial part but I hate the front fender on the honda's. It looks so big and clunky, and I hate the rims on the honda vs the kawa. Sounds like I have my mind made up already :lao

·
Registered
342 Posts
Its all up to you man. Get what suits you. That was just my 2cents. Yes the Kawi has nicer parts, but to me its just more expensive stuff if broken. Plus I hate the guages on the Kawi. But to each his own... Just make sure youll be safe and happy with whatever you get.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts