Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back while riding, I noticed the display on my gauge cluster, along with the back lighting started to flicker when I used the throttle. I would jiggle the harness, to no effect. Everything on the cluster is pretty much unintelligible no except for the RPM readout. I was curious if anyone else has run into issues like this, or has any suggestions.

Thanks

Ross:beer

·
I like curves.
2,090 Posts
A few weeks back while riding, I noticed the display on my gauge cluster, along with the back lighting started to flicker when I used the throttle. I would jiggle the harness, to no effect. Everything on the cluster is pretty much unintelligible no except for the RPM readout. I was curious if anyone else has run into issues like this, or has any suggestions.

Thanks

Ross:beer
See my speedo donation thread in the classifieds, I have the same problem, and it is caused by the vibrations of the bike on your speedo mount i think. The vibrations killed mine and aftermarket pipes just helped it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I need to beef up the vibrations dampening and probably get a new speedo, or crack it open and see if I can spot anything that has come loose

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
The actual LCD panel of the display does not have a positive connection with the circuit board underneath it. It is held in place with a set of plastic tabs and relies on an inductive transfer of voltage to make the pretty numbers and bars show up, no wires or pins. If the panel gets loose and shifts at all the display will be intermittent and scrambled.

How do I know this? I damaged my original display and replaced it with another used unit I had. It had the same symptoms as you mention. The display is not serviceable as it is epoxied together along the seam between top and bottom haves. I cut through this bond line, separated the two halves and discovered what I posted above. Once I repositioned the LCD panel correctly and powered up, the old display was active and readable. However, there isn't any way to reassemble the housing tightly and accurately enough to reinstall on the bike, so it's junk sitting in a box now..

Sucks, doesn't it??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly what I needed, sure enough when I opened it up, it seems as thought large coil seems to have come a bit loose. No noticeable movement, but it is the only thing that effects the display when touched or jiggled. Going to epoxy the crap out of the whole situation and re-assemble with much better dampening when I put back on the bike. This should get me by till I finally go for putting the '07 harness and Meter on the bike.

:beer

·
Mr Crash :(
5,284 Posts
I had that happen too, and the display was dead a few days later lol

The good news was that I already had a KOSO on order, so the timing was perfect! The koso rocks btw.

Good luck!

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
This seems to be now a common issue with everyone who went naked.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So yeah, I went naked, and my display is out too. It has never worked since my cousin wrecked it the original time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
to the moderators:

i totally advise putting a sticky on this thread - going naked and using custom mounts for the speedo really requires sufficient mounting dampening or else your speedo will eventually be destroyed through the vibrations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have a spare meter for an 05 FZ6? Battery keeps getting drained after sitting for a few days. Yamaha shop had it for three weeks tracking the problem, went thru the charging system, put in several new batteries, and finally concluded that the clock for the meter is drawing too much power (its the only thing still hot when its sitting off) and so their solution was to unplug the meter while its sitting. It will still start and run with it unplugged, you just wont have a speedo or rpms or anything else, so then we just plug it in when we are riding, unplug when we shut down. The shop said there are no meters in stock, and no date for when they will be available. Said it could take weeks to months to get one if they order, and it will be $667, and it is not a guarantee that is the problem, meaning the new one may not solve the short and then there would be a $200 restocking fee! Arg!! If someone had a known working one that I could try, maybe off a wrecked bike, I would much appreciate the opportunity to give it a try! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dealerships....

Anyone have a spare meter for an 05 FZ6? Battery keeps getting drained after sitting for a few days. Yamaha shop had it for three weeks tracking the problem, went thru the charging system, put in several new batteries, and finally concluded that the clock for the meter is drawing too much power (its the only thing still hot when its sitting off) and so their solution was to unplug the meter while its sitting. It will still start and run with it unplugged, you just wont have a speedo or rpms or anything else, so then we just plug it in when we are riding, unplug when we shut down. The shop said there are no meters in stock, and no date for when they will be available. Said it could take weeks to months to get one if they order, and it will be $667, and it is not a guarantee that is the problem, meaning the new one may not solve the short and then there would be a $200 restocking fee! Arg!! If someone had a known working one that I could try, maybe off a wrecked bike, I would much appreciate the opportunity to give it a try! Thanks!
I don't have a spare gauge cluster, but one should be able to track down any current drain by using an ammeter connected in-line with whatever they believe is causing the problem. The ammeter will show how much current is being drawn.

Does it stop draining the battery in a few days when the gauge is unhooked? If so, maybe the backlighting is stuck on or something? (Check the gauge in the dark.) There's no way that the clock draws enough current to kill the battery in a few days.

There's no way I'd pay those prices. I do see them pop up on eBay, as I'm half-heartedly looking for a 2007+ gauge cluster to swap onto my 2004. (If I could only figure out what to do with the plastics around the 2007+ gauge....)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that happen too, and the display was dead a few days later lol

The good news was that I already had a KOSO on order, so the timing was perfect! The koso rocks btw.

Good luck!
Hi guy,

I just read your old post about FZ6N speedo that broke down. Your feedback would be very helpful to me.

I actually have a FZ6N S1 with the same issue and I am hesitating between
  • buying a used FZ6S2 dash (or even FZ8/FZ1/XJ6/FZ6R: all of them work apparently)
  • or buying a KOSO RX2N that looks awesome

I noticed that you installed a KOSO:
  • What model did you install ?
  • Is it a copycat version (Aliexpress: 30$) or an original one (400$ !) ?
  • Have you been overall satisfied with it so far ?
  • Do diagnosis mode and engine error still work like on a stock dash ?

Many Thanks in advance for your help

Jérôme

1 - 15 of 15 Posts