Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the dealer and sat on a 2005 R6. Seems like a very natural sportbike riding position. How was the powerband on that year bike? Peaky as the current one or decent for the street. It nicely balanced to me strictly from a comfort feel. I also like the old Honda 954RR. Sometimes you think about the old bikes that you should have gotten.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was at the dealer and sat on a 2005 R6. Seems like a very natural sportbike riding position. How was the powerband on that year bike? Peaky as the current one or decent for the street. It nicely balanced to me strictly from a comfort feel. I also like the old Honda 954RR. Sometimes you think about the old bikes that you should have gotten.
I guess it depends on your experience and how many miles you have put in on 600/1000 supersports. Out of all the actual SS bikes that I have been on and actually rode, the 2005 R6 is the most comfortable bike of them all and it does not compromise anything for that comfort. From 2002-2012, there is not another 600cc bike out there that matches the '05 R6 in terms of comfort...unless you choose to include bikes like the F4i or Fz6r models. For street or track, the R6 has always been top notch but again, of all race replica bikes, the '05 R6 has the best ergos, imo, of any 600cc ss bike ever produced.

·
Registered
213 Posts
2003-2005 R6 was a great bike, not as peaky and track-focused as later years, with more tolerable ergonomics. It continued to be made as the R6s post-2006.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
My friend has a 2005 R6 and I HATE the ergos, everytime I've rode I can't wait to give it back to him. I find my '11 GSX-R 600 much more comfortable, I also had a '08 GSX-R 600 that in the ergo department felt pretty much like the '11 (the engine felt weaker in the bottom end, stronger up top). But for me, the most comfortable, was the 05-06 636, that was a fantastic bike.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
If you're looking at ten year old Yamaha 600s, take a look at the YZF600R. More mid-range power than the R6 of the same years, WAY more comfortable. I had one I bought brand new for nine years and if they still made them I'd consider a new one off the dealer's floor today.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
While not as peaky as the '06+ bikes, the '05 R6 still produced the least midrange power when compared to the CBR, ZX-6R, and GSX-R of the same year. Peaky.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
+1 mid-range for a trackbike is 10-12k and the R6 makes tons of power there

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
*hugs his Daytona, for having 118hp/53tq*

I can run 4k rpm or 14k rpm. Doesn't matter when you have 40 tq @ 3k rpm. :D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
no one rides around a track at 4-8k rpm anyway. totally useless numbers.
+1 mid-range for a trackbike is 10-12k and the R6 makes tons of power there
I agree. The OP asked about it's use for the street though. Down below 9k or so, the R6 of any year usually makes less power than the other 600's. Nothing that can't be fixed with gearing, but it is what it is.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Each vertical block is 20hp. Also it is very not stock. 118.31hp and 52 tq. You can google for the torque curve a Daytona has. If you like, I can post video of me in 3rd gear and a 2007 GSX-R 600 in 2nd gear, and I leave him. (it is ON TRACK).

Full race exhaust
air flapper removed
exup motor removed
catalytic converter removed
SAI removed
ECU race tune (for 93 octane). I will add that I don't need a PC. Tune ECU can tune your stock keihin ecu.

Only other thing I can do is braking open the engine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I test drove one and it was a fun bike. I would like to have one whenever I feel ready to go for a higher performing bike.

Just wondering would a passenger feel more comfortable on a Ninja 650 seat or a R6? My passenger told me her ass hurt after riding on the Ninja 650, but we were in LA trying to get around slow traffic. Last time we rode it was mostly straight roads going 60-70 mph down PCH and she did not complain.

Does trying to go slow around traffic require more balance from the body than cruising at freeway speeds?

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
I test drove one and it was a fun bike. I would like to have one whenever I feel ready to go for a higher performing bike.

Just wondering would a passenger feel more comfortable on a Ninja 650 seat or a R6? My passenger told me her ass hurt after riding on the Ninja 650, but we were in LA trying to get around slow traffic. Last time we rode it was mostly straight roads going 60-70 mph down PCH and she did not complain.

Does trying to go slow around traffic require more balance from the body than cruising at freeway speeds?
WHY ARE YOU CARRYING PASSENGERS, YOU CAN BARELY JUSTIFY YOUR OWN NOVICE ASS BEING ON THAT BIKE.

And yeah, maneuvering takes more skill than going in a straight line, regardless of location.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts