Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a spankin new 2005 WRB STi with the gold BBS wheels. I got to ride in it all day today, and I am extremely jealous. He is 18, but looks like hes 13 :lol . Everyone stares thinking that a little kid is driving. I want one... :bowdown

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Those things are hella cool. Very sharp car. I don't think they come with a sunroof for some reason. Salesman told me it was because it added too much weight to the car. WTF? The Mitsubishi Evo has one...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikem317 said:
Those things are hella cool. Very sharp car. I don't think they come with a sunroof for some reason. Salesman told me it was because it added too much weight to the car. WTF? The Mitsubishi Evo has one...
Sunroofs add a lot of weight with motor. It just slows the car down.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
KoLRaNcH said:
Sunroofs add a lot of weight with motor. It just slows the car down.
I guess so. What's an extra 50 lbs?

They didn't even go with a radio dude. I mean, how much weight could you seriously be adding if you added a sunroof plus a set of speakers and a good head unit? Speakers + stereo = 50 lbs? Tops? Sunroof? 100 lbs?

Sure, they're meant for racing, but people buy them for city streets, not for racing. Okay, maybe the 5% of those cars that are made go right to the track and never titled or registered. I would at least appreciate some luxury when you're spending $30,000. And if you want to take that stuff, out all the power to you.

EDIT: I think they have a radio now, I forgot what year they added it.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
What the hell is a WRB? DId you mean WRX? :lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Spike said:
What the hell is a WRB? DId you mean WRX? :lol
World rally blue, its the color. people say WRB short for it.

mikem317 said:
I guess so. What's an extra 50 lbs?

They didn't even go with a radio dude. I mean, how much weight could you seriously be adding if you added a sunroof plus a set of speakers and a good head unit? Speakers + stereo = 50 lbs? Tops? Sunroof? 100 lbs?

Sure, they're meant for racing, but people buy them for city streets, not for racing. Okay, maybe the 5% of those cars that are made go right to the track and never titled or registered. I would at least appreciate some luxury when you're spending $30,000. And if you want to take that stuff, out all the power to you.

EDIT: I think they have a radio now, I forgot what year they added it.
Yes, the 05 models have a radio, not very good. The head unit is pretty cool( In dash 6 disc). The speakers sound like they are gonna blow if you turn them up to loud.

I don't know how much weight the sunroof and motor add, but I believe its more than 50lbs.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Sorry, there's so many typos on this board I had to make sure!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, he isn't going to street race. We love autocross, and thats where hes going to use it most of the time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't even have to see it to be jealous!! and finally someone who might use it for a good purpose (autocrossing rules!!).

I really want one of these cars.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Str8away Hater said:
I don't even have to see it to be jealous!! and finally someone who might use it for a good purpose (autocrossing rules!!).

I really want one of these cars.
Trust me, were not your average street racers. He is breaking in the car now, and doesn't go above 5K. Even when it is broken in he is not a street racer ,and we don't cruise around looking to race. His first mods are going to be suspension and I am gonna go watch him autocross it in about 2 weeks. :banana

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
My friend has an SRT-4....that thing eats STI's, it's funny and hella surprising too.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
BurnMyHeartDown said:
My friend has an SRT-4....that thing eats STI's, it's funny and hella surprising too.
Sorry, but I've gotta pull the BS flag on this one... AWD is virtually untouchable especially on the street. The problem with AWD, at least in my area, is usually the drivers won't know how to use it to its full capabilities, and end up launching too soft and bogging the car.

Now don't get me wrong, SRT-4's are very cool little cars for the price. A guy I used to work with has one...Stage one, a BOV, intercooler, boost controller, and aftermarket wheels, and can't get better than 13.6's because it won't hook.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
Sorry, but I've gotta pull the BS flag on this one... AWD is virtually untouchable especially on the street. The problem with AWD, at least in my area, is usually the drivers won't know how to use it to its full capabilities, and end up launching too soft and bogging the car.

Now don't get me wrong, SRT-4's are very cool little cars for the price. A guy I used to work with has one...Stage one, a BOV, intercooler, boost controller, and aftermarket wheels, and can't get better than 13.6's because it won't hook.
It's no stock srt-4. This dudes dad works for mopar, he owns the Mopar Viper, it's blue I think, that thing kicks ass. This srt-4 probably has another $10,000 in it minimum. That's still less than an STI though, at least when I looked at them it was. It's making over 300 HP. None of the EVO's or STI's in vegas will race him anymore, unless they don't know what's up.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
BurnMyHeartDown said:
It's no stock srt-4. This dudes dad works for mopar, he owns the Mopar Viper, it's blue I think, that thing kicks ass. This srt-4 probably has another $10,000 in it minimum. That's still less than an STI though, at least when I looked at them it was. It's making over 300 HP. None of the EVO's or STI's in vegas will race him anymore, unless they don't know what's up.
How much over 300? BHP, or FWHP?

Again I'm not trying to talk sh*t or anything man...it's just I find that very hard to believe because, generally speaking, AWD is unbeatable on the street. A 5000 rpm clutch drop and hook-up....well hell, that's how 500 hp cars lose to 300 hp cars. By the time you start gaining, you still can't make up the distance pulled on you in first gear..... Now, if your buddy does high speed races, like highway shit....then okay, I'll believe you...but seeing as most races, at least in my area, tend to be stoplight to stoplight....no streetable SRT-4 could stand up to an AWD car in shorter runs.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The local dealer here puts aftermarket sunroofs in the WRX's they sell. I don't think they bother doing it to the STI's though.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
SRT-4s are neons right? I wouldn't be caught dead in that souped up Neon, no matter how fast it is.

Props on the STi. They haul @$$, but I'd probably go with the Mitsu, just a little bit more luxurious with the sun/moonroof and better stereo options.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
How much over 300? BHP, or FWHP?

Again I'm not trying to talk sh*t or anything man...it's just I find that very hard to believe because, generally speaking, AWD is unbeatable on the street. A 5000 rpm clutch drop and hook-up....well hell, that's how 500 hp cars lose to 300 hp cars. By the time you start gaining, you still can't make up the distance pulled on you in first gear..... Now, if your buddy does high speed races, like highway shit....then okay, I'll believe you...but seeing as most races, at least in my area, tend to be stoplight to stoplight....no streetable SRT-4 could stand up to an AWD car in shorter runs.

No I feel where you're coming from, but i've seen videos of him catching sti's in the quarter mile....they kill him off the line because he still has stock size rubber. All I know is he said it has over 300 HP now, I'm betting that's BHP. Trust me, I thought EVO's were the fucking shit until I saw him tearing them new asses. I guess the evo's are supposed to be making 276 BHP, this guy dyno'd his and it came back as like 220 or some shit at the wheels...that's just hearsay though, so I don't know how accurate it is.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah, SRT-4 can be very quick. For starters the car is much less to buy and all the mopar upgrades you can get for it, which are not that expensive when you compare to all other aftermarket upgrades. The STi of course would take it off the line because of the AWD. However the SRT-4 could be pushing 400+hp very easily.

This can also be done with the STi just more money involved, my friend doesn't worry about money to much, so to hit 400+hp will not be that hard with minor upgrades since the engine is pushing out 300hp turbo stock. :banana

·
Registered
100 Posts
BurnMyHeartDown said:
It's still a neon. :neener

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does an 18 y.o. afford to buy and insure an sti?

I had the chance to drive one a few nights ago and must admit that I was really impressed. I've driven many fast cars but I was blown away by the power delivery of the Subie. Below 3-4K rpm, before the boost started to kick in, the car accelerated off the line quickly but it didn't come close to pushing me back into the seat like other cars with 300 or more hp. However, once the boost built up the power came on like a friggin' light switch. Very fun and due to its peaky power delivery the sti felt even faster than it actually is. Other cars with similiar 1/4 mile and 0-60 times, like say the M5 or C5 vette, don't quite feel as fast when accelerating thru the gears simply because thier power outputs are more spread out across the rev range. I know the sti's sensation of speed was a bit illusory because of its turbo lag but it felt quicker than these cars nonethless.

The handling was very nice too. In order to test the awd traction I committed a big no-no and applied full throttle in a lower gear in the middle of a turn. I expected a neutral slide and was prepared to dial in a bit of countersteer and ease off the gas pedal. Instead, the car just tracked through the turn where I pointed it and took off quick toward the exit of the curve. This trait must be a huge advantage around a tight racetrack or gymkhana course when other rwd cars are gingerly easing onto the throttle.

My biggest nitpick against the car is its rather notchy shifter, something it shares with the WRX and its low rent interior. These are things, however, that'd i'd be willing to live with when owning an awd 4 door sedan with the performace of sports cars twice its price.

Tell your buddy I'm jealous.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts