Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
0-60? This is your first bike I take it :) It's fast enough, don't worry. It is a great bike to learn to ride on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a 500R actually, I am looking at getting a 250R though. As for the reason behind knowing the stats...I just want to know. I have the 250R as doing a 5.75 sec. 0-60. And I think that is darn fast, and its a damn slow bike!

·
Registered
84 Posts
in 2001 a stock 500R was tested as following by motorcyclist.
50.2 hp @9250 rpm
30.9 ft.lb @7500 rpm
1/4 mile in 12.81 @ 101.2 mph
0-60 in somewhere in the 4 sec range. I've seen some tests say 3.8, and others say 4.2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bassboy and MaxPower. Nice to hear from some people that know something about the stats on the 500R.

I am planing on getting a Ninja 250R before the weekend is out. I am probably going to sell the little guy at the begining of next season and am interested in getting a 500 cc bike as the next step up. Seems like the Ninja 500R is one of the better choices for me.

For now I am just going to revel in the performance enhancement that is placed on my driving situation by shifting from a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan to a Ninja 250R. That should keep me happy for a while. Driving a Grand Caraban around for ~3 years durring my late teens and early 20s should have tempered me to enjoying just about every vehicle I have for the rest of my life. Seriously, I have learned to have fun in a van, anything better is just icing...and oh what icing a 500R could be...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Haha, I know the feeling. I stepped up from a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan. Have a terrific time on the EX250. If you want, the EX500 is a terrific bike to start with, too.

Oh, yeah, the EX500 gets about 50 mpg, more if you ride conservatively, a little less if you ride aggressively. I get about 48 mpg in mostly city traffic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am considering the posibility of getting the 500R as my second bike, but that would be in the 2006 season, or slightly before for best pricing. Its a long way off so I don't know definitively, today was only my second day doing some basic manuvering around streets with my new Ninja 250R.

It is certainly a much higher power to weight ratio than my van, but I have a long way to go before I outgrow its acceleration abilitys. And I am certain that it is enough to satisfy me should I need to save the money of upgrading every season. Obviously I would like to get a 500R or something similar next season, but I am in control of my monetary urges for the most part and I can already tell the 250R is a formidable vehicle for transport even though it is a bottom of the line offering. Also the mpg it gets is monetarily very atractive. But still....that 500 cc sounds just about twice as sweet as the 250 doesn't it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts