Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 katana that runs like a top till today. I was riding to work going about 70 when all of a sudden it felt like i engaged the clutch but didnt and the rpm dropped to 0, about 3 seconds later they went right back to where it should be. The bike had not cut off because the oil light or nothing on the cluster showed. the bike has 20k miles and until now has run fantasticly well. am replacing the kick stand spring because it is rather loose, may not fix the issue but needs to be done. any ideas as to what it might be. keep in mind the bike idles and starts just fine.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
can you replicate the symptoms?

If you can find a reliable way to make the problem happen, it will make figuring out the problem easier.

plus once stuff is done, you will be able to test if it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have not been able to replicate the symptom but noticed yesterday that sometimes when i go to shift gears my foot pushes the kickstand down. im wondering if that could have tripped the sensor or made it bug out as the rpm dropped but the bike did not cut off.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
i have not been able to replicate the symptom but noticed yesterday that sometimes when i go to shift gears my foot pushes the kickstand down. im wondering if that could have tripped the sensor or made it bug out as the rpm dropped but the bike did not cut off.
I'm pretty sure, in fact, I'm sure the RPMs did not drop a bit. What you felt was a loss in power because the ignition was cut, you didn't had the oil light turn on because the engine kept spinning and the oil pump kept working. The RPMs on the tachometer dropped as it is electronic, it takes it signal from the ignition, there is no mechanical connection to the engine.

Don't know if the sidestand would create that exact situation, you can go out for a ride and try pushing it down with your feet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that is the case then where should I start looking for issues. I'm mechanically able when I know what I'm working. On but troubleshooting is not my specialty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that is the case then where should I start looking for issues. I'm mechanically able when I know what I'm working. On but troubleshooting is not my specialty.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
First of all, make sure you're not causing that by pushing down the sidestand with your foot.

Then I'd just unplug eveyr connector, clean it with contact cleaner and make sure everything is plugged back in correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thankfully it was my lack of experience that was causing the issue along with a bad side stand spring causing the safety switch to engage. Since replacing the spring and getting some actual riding boots it has not happened again.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm glad it's working fine now, hope you've had a chance to put many miles on it as the Katana makes for an awesome light sport tourer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts