Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum. I just had my 500 mile service and the dealer adjusted my clutch handle for proper play, however the clutch now engages only when the clutch handle is released about 3/4 of the way out. I asked him if he could adjust it so it engages sooner like it used to and he said that this is normal. This is my first Suzuki bike but my other ones I could adjust it to suit my preference. I read in my manual about adjusting it from the side cover but I am not sure if that affects the clutch engagement/disengagement.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Congrats on reaching 500 miles on your first bike!

You can adjust it so it engages sooner, but you'll likely have more play in the cable then. I.e. if you set it so it engages 1/2 or 1/4 in, you'll have a lot of slack when the clutch lever is released fully. Also, if you're adjusting the clutch, you want to make sure that it's adjusted in a way that when the lever is fully pulled the clutch is completely disengaged. Otherwise, you'll have some rough shifts :).

·
Registered
936 Posts
It's dependent on the mechanic doing the service or initial setup on the bike, not really on the bike itself. It sounds like it's normal, but since it's so easily adjustable, you should just adjust the lever as is specified in the manual... it'll probably ask for 1/8 or 1/4 inch of freeplay at the end of the travel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts