Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going gents?

So my bike sat for about 6 months while I was on a deployment. Came back new battery, new spark plugs. Started up even with old gas because I'm a dumbass and never drained it before I left.

It was running fine only really rode it once after I put new spark plugs etc.

So here's the thing... I come back to it about a week later and it wont start. Ran through all the basic tips and tricks I've read, or could think of
(kickstand, reset bank angle sensor by disconecting battery, killswitch is on, drained fuel put new fuel in etc)

While trying to get it to start I ended up push starting for a while, eventual it started ran for a few seconds and died. Push started it again, ran for 30 secs or so and died. Can't push start it anymore wont work.

So today i was pissed and sprayed some starting fluid in there (not the best thing for it but oh well) and it will start and run like ****. Seems to be only running on starting fluid. So I'm thinking I'm not getting fuel. The fuel pump primes when I turn on th e key though.

What I can't understand is how it happened after sitting less than a week. Also why it ran a couple times push starting it but won't do it again. If the fuel injectors were clogged or something I wouldn't have thought it would run just fine a week before.

Its throwing codes for MAP sensor IAT sensor and vehicle speed sensor... Which from what I have read shouldn't prevent the bike from starting and running...

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this. Thanks gents

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Water in the fuel. The stuff you guys get in the US has ethanol, ethanol loves water and will mix with it, but if there is too much water it will separate from the gasoline and it will go to the lowest part of the tank (gas will float over it). Another option is rust, it might have clogged up the fuel pump filter.

1. Test flow the fuel pump. Basically disconnect it from the injectors and turn the ignition on, do this three times and measure how much fuel you get.
2. Remove fuel pump and make sure you get everything out from the tank.
3. run the fuel pump out of the tank and disconnected from the injectors, that will clear the water from it.
4. Remove fuel line, try to take out as much fluid out of the fuel rail (impossible to get it clean without disassembling it).
5. Reassemble.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
i agree that fuel is the most likely cause here.

drain the fuel from the tank, pump, lines, everything you can and look for rust in the fuel, tank, and lines.

if you see rust, get it out before you reassemble the bike. Do what you need to to get it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shouldn't something be said about the fan, is it going ahead like it should? Sent from some place down the sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Shouldn't something be said about the fan, is it going ahead like it should? Sent from some place down the sound.
This thread is from 2016. He probably doesn't even own the bike now. Most likely the tea bag filter inside the tank was clogged from old fuel and other contaminates that gather and sink to the bottom. A problem made worse by ethanol laced fuel that is used in the USA. (E10 fuel has 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline).

The fan is just another electrical item and wouldn't come on until the bike got hot. No impact on starting or failing to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts