Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think and know about these bikes? A buddy is considering selling one and doesn't know what to ask for it. It only has 1k miles on the clock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
I like the looks of them. The dyno says the power is down compared to the Jap bikes but I doubt a normal person could really tell. I was researching them a while back to see if I would like them but they seemed to have some issues. daytona600.org
 

·
Dude, where is my bike?
Joined
·
255 Posts
I heard they dont have alot of low-end torque.....wutever that means, im just a noob so im regurgitating knowledge
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
Daytona 600's put about 97 hp to the wheel. Jap. SS 600's of the same year put down from 103-108 and are about 25 pounds lighter. In other words, not that much of a difference. The D600 has a very nice chassis and brakes (SS lines STOCK) and it has a more relaxed riding position than the jap. 600's. To give you a clue, my TT600 has less power, is a bit heavier and has a more dated chassis than the D600, and still my bike holds it's own against the other 600's at the track. When the D650 came out, triumph were getting rid of their left over D600's at about $6500 OTD. IMO a '04 D600 is worth about $5000.
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! I will pass the info onto him.
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
Man, all of a sudden that information makes me want a D600 :D
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts


Begins slowly humping bike.....

How are parts availability and service prices with these bikes? Also, what is the MSRP on the 05 D600??

Wait, is the Daytona now the 650 instead of the 600? I'm confused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
The Daytona 650 looks to be a 2005 only motorcycle. The Daytona 600 ran in 2003 and 2004, and was replaced this year by the 650 model. Rumor has it that the 650 inline four will be replaced by a 675 triple for 2006.

The Daytona is the best looking 600 sporbike, hands down, in my opinion. Even in the "lookit me!!!!" yellow color, it's still tasteful compared to some of the goofy looking stuff the Japanese companies festoon their bikes with.

The Triumph fours are known to be peaky above all else - nothing until about 10,000 rpm, and then BOOM! They're kind to you below that range, but are a bit hairy over that. Ergonomically, they're much more friendly to tall folk than the Japanese bikes are. I don't know why they didn't sell more of them... actually, I do - most folks tend to ride spec sheets instead of test all of their options. If more people checked out the TT/Daytona/Speed Four triplet, I think they would have sold a whole lot more of them.

To answer your questions, spike:

MSRP of 2005 Daytona 650 : $8000. Actually, $7999 or some bullshit with a lot of 9s. In other words, $8k. You can probably get one out the door, all said and done for about $7k. I can still find brand new 2003 Daytona 600s and TT600s for about $7k, and I'm willing to bet anything you could get one of those for about $6700 otd. As for parts availability and service, it depends on the locale. I've got any number of shops within 20 miles in the Twin Cities here that are great, and will service Triumphs for a fair price. Parts availability for the Triumph Fours isn't as great as for their Triples, but it's not a nightmare like a '90s Ducati or a weird, one year only Honda from the early '80s... they're current bikes, so parts are even available on Ebay often.

Edit : Dude, that's gotta be the funniest goddam avatar I've ever seen...
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
Here's an interesting fact. The TT600 and daytona 600 and speed four have the shortest stroke of any production 600. The 650 is pretty much the same D600 engine but with a longer stroke. Benefits of a short stroke is the ability to rev higher and it has a distint exhaust note especially at high rpm's. I've got nothing but compliments about my bike's sound after I put the jardine pipe. The downside of a short stroke is that the low end suffers a bit and that makes a peaky powerband but that's part of the fun. :)
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
Yeah that all sounds good. I think they're so hot looking!!! In the next couple years I'll be getting a new bike... and this might be a possibility. In a couple years maybe they'll have a leftover 05' that I can pick up for cheap :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
You can get a 04 600 for 6,800 with little to no hassle, if you can find em.

The triple rumors are just that, rumors. Nothing official has been stated and until it has I wouldn't take too much stock in it. While it sounds like something Triumph would do, they like to be different, business wise it dosen't really make alot of sense. Why take something off your line that you have been improving since the TT600 and finally get some notice from sport bike riders.

BTW the 10k wake up call is actually a bit lower but not much, prolly between 8500 9k. While my young dumb days are over I still like to push it on occasion on back roads but rarely see 10k let alone red line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
My grandpa bought a '04 D600 and it is a damn fun bike to ride. I highly reccommend the Daytona, good bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Repeater said:
The Triumph fours are known to be peaky above all else - nothing until about 10,000 rpm, and then BOOM! They're kind to you below that range, but are a bit hairy over that. Ergonomically, they're much more friendly to tall folk than the Japanese bikes are. I don't know why they didn't sell more of them... actually, I do - most folks tend to ride spec sheets instead of test all of their options. If more people checked out the TT/Daytona/Speed Four triplet, I think they would have sold a whole lot more of them.
I agree with that, down low very tame, get above 9 grand and hold the fuck on.
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone, I will pass this on also. Not sure where he is going to list it but let everyone know when he does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
DissT said:
The triple rumors are just that, rumors. Nothing official has been stated and until it has I wouldn't take too much stock in it. While it sounds like something Triumph would do, they like to be different, business wise it dosen't really make alot of sense. Why take something off your line that you have been improving since the TT600 and finally get some notice from sport bike riders.
The Triple rumors are indeed just rumors. But the inline-four Triumphs are going away, that's set in stone.

http://www.triumphrat.net/article.php?sid=407&mode=&order=0

From the story, an interview with a Commercial Director at Triumph :
A concrete change is that all new bikes going forward will have either the parallel twin or the iconic triple engine, something that's unique for Triumph in the motorcycle market. Mantoni comments: "Triumph is all about individuality and riding something that not everyone else has. We have worked hard to define Triumph's identity and the success of our latest models is evidence that the consumers like what we have done".

So, yes, the Daytona 650 and Speed Four will die. Apparently, they'll make a very limited run of them for '06, probably in the next few months, to get rid of the old stock motors. Triumph has done this before, with the 750 Speed Triples.

Otherwise, I'm waiting anxiously until September when the new Triumph models will be released.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
mercutio80 said:
I'd like to see a Baby Speed 3 come out of this.
You're not the only one! :grinbounc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Repeater said:
The Triple rumors are indeed just rumors. But the inline-four Triumphs are going away, that's set in stone.

http://www.triumphrat.net/article.php?sid=407&mode=&order=0

From the story, an interview with a Commercial Director at Triumph :
A concrete change is that all new bikes going forward will have either the parallel twin or the iconic triple engine, something that's unique for Triumph in the motorcycle market. Mantoni comments: "Triumph is all about individuality and riding something that not everyone else has. We have worked hard to define Triumph's identity and the success of our latest models is evidence that the consumers like what we have done".

So, yes, the Daytona 650 and Speed Four will die. Apparently, they'll make a very limited run of them for '06, probably in the next few months, to get rid of the old stock motors. Triumph has done this before, with the 750 Speed Triples.

Otherwise, I'm waiting anxiously until September when the new Triumph models will be released.
Good info thanks for the link.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top