Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Yamaha R1 is slipping in 2nd gear ONLY under hard acceleration and only in 2nd gear. I'm hoping that is not the gearbox but I am thinking you all are going to tell me it is. The clutch is original and 7 years old now. The bike has roughly 15,000 miles on it now. What's everyone's opinions on this? If it is the gearbox is it best to buy a new one or pay to get this one rebuilt? I also loosened up the chain some but it did not work.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You are right, it's the the cog in the gearbox. Prohibitively expensive to have it done in a shop.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly is a "cog"? So what your telling me is that is the only thing that should be replaced-not the gears, etc? I looked online at Ron Ayers and there is not a cog on the micro fiche just gears, washers, etc. How much do you think it would cost to fix this?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,590 Posts
they are actually called "dogs" by yamaha.
the R6 used to suffer from the 2nd gear slip. they said in 03, they put 5 "dogs" on each gear to eliminate the problem. the 99-02 used 3 dogs on each gear.

the dogs are the tabs that stick out on each gear that locks it into the next gear.
if they round off too much, they will allow the gear to momentarily unlock from the rest of the gears. and that's the "slip" you are feeling.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
To replace the transmission gears in the R6, the entire bottom end of the engine must come off. Usually, once you go that far, you might want to think about re-ringing the pistons as well. It will definitely cost you over a thousand dollars in a shop. However, you can usually get away with short shifting second gear and continue to ride the bike without fear of additional damage. Just keep in mind, that once the dogs on the gears are rounded off, they will only continue to get worse.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I think you are looking more like $5-600 for parts and $12-1500 labor if you take it to the dealer. YOU don't need to rebuild the whole motor The motor definitely needs to come out
I think (not sure) you can turn it upside down, remove the lower case to work on the trans
You have to buy the individual parts !!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Once the engine is out it is easy to remove the lower case and replace the worn gears. No need to do anything else unless the bike has been abused. Just because you are there it does not mean that you should mess with good running components. Todays sportbike motors should be good for a long time between overhauls on the engine. Gearboxes are the weak links at this time

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to a guy today and he told me he has to split the case and tear the engine and gearbox apart anyway to get to the gears. He said about $700-$1200 it would cost and he would rather hone the cylinders and do a top end rebuild too with new pistons and bearings too. The man talked to me on the phone for about 15 minutes or so and he really knew was he was talking about. He said he works on stunt bikes too. He does work in his shop at home. He agreed it is probably the shifter dogs for 2nd gear too. He said it shouldn't hurt anything to continue to ride it but he said try to preload the shifter when I shift into 2nd gear and don't get on it too much in 2nd.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah thats pretty much what I did today. I guess it could be worse. I was just scared at first that it might eventually lock up the gearbox when I am riding. I know a guy who has a cruiser and his gearbox locked up and threw him and his girlfriend off. Anyway I was thinking about trading it in for a new R1 or a Hayabusa but I probably will just get it fixed in a couple months.

I was told today that Suzuki has not released any 2010 Hayabusas in the US yet. Why???

·
the joke is in your hand
8,590 Posts
fuck all that, buy a 03-05 tranny and be done with it. and you wont have that problem again. (yes, it's a direct drop in replacement, no mods need to be done).
it's not hard to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts