Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I just bought a 2003 Honda CBR600RR with a salvage title from a local shop but it has no keys! What's the quickest way I can have one made?

P.S. if there isn't an easy way and if I have to ride it to a dealer, can I unbolt the gas cap to fill up the tank?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've heard people on here say that a locksmith might work and be cheaper. if you decide to go to the dealer, bring your VIN and regestration.....

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
A friend of mine lost the key to his rc51 and paid to have a lock smith make a new on. It ran $200-300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, let me ask you this:

Is it possible to get gas in the tank without a key? Can I unbolt the cap assembly? If I can do that I will ride it to a Honda dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me explain the entire story.

Woke up this morning and checked the cycletrader for new ads, found the 2003 CBR600RR with 430 miles for $5,000. Called the shop that had it as soon as I read the ad and they said it was still for sale. I rushed over there and bought it. The only thing wrong with it is the key situation, it was a theft recovery, there are no keys.

We started the bike by pulling the plug (like a twisty cog type thing) from the bottom of the cylinder and turning it (I assume this is how the thief stole it), almost like you'd stick the key in and turn it- this worked without a hitch, I even rode the bike around.

The bike is still sitting in the garage of this shop, I need to determine what is going to be the best route for me to take to get it home. If I can unbolt the gas cap and fill the tank, that will be the best route for me to take.

How sure are you that you can unbolt the cap assembly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got a reply on another board, apparently with 2003 CBR600RRs certified Honda dealerships have a 'dataVin key cutter'- I guess they store key codes per VIN? Do you guys know if there is any truth to this?

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
See if you can loosen the tail section bolts and somehow lift the plastics enough to get the rear seat off. Take the lock assembly from the trunk...it's usually the same key that fits the ignition and gas tank. A locksmith should be able to work with that easier than the gas tank lock.

P.S. Ooops...almost forgot. Go to the Honda dealer and get a blank key first. It'll run you about $15 or $20.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
chrsl02 said:
Just got a reply on another board, apparently with 2003 CBR600RRs certified Honda dealerships have a 'dataVin key cutter'- I guess they store key codes per VIN? Do you guys know if there is any truth to this?
Yes. My bike's original key got bent somehow, so I went to the dealer to get a key made. The cutter was down, but the parts technician told me any locksmith could cut the blank per specs. Either way, they'll need your original or a lock assembly if you don't have the key.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us how it works out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I realize you are in a hurry, but why not get on ebay and by an ignition, gas cap, trunk set off of ebay that all matched and had keys with it. This would be cheaper than doing of the other

Just a thought for you
God Bless
Seth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I think I may pay for a locksmith to come out, I called one today and he said he can have a new key ready for $65 bucks, he'd come out and do it.

The locksmith mentioned he can do it without a keycode, any idea how he goes about doing that?

·
Registered
456 Posts
you cant open the gas cap without keys. the cap prevents you from just removing the whole assembly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought a repo'd KLR 650 without keys this summer. I pulled the ignition out and took it to a locksmith to have a new key made. Cost me $20.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Quik said:
you cant open the gas cap without keys. the cap prevents you from just removing the whole assembly.
This is correct. Once you remove the 3 bolts that hold the cap on, you must release the cap by unlocking it with the key. You cannot remove the gas cap without the key.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
lol

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
Ferris said:
I bought a repo'd KLR 650 without keys this summer. I pulled the ignition out and took it to a locksmith to have a new key made. Cost me $20.
If i had a gun and was several hundred miles closer to you then my present location i'd pistol whip ya to your sense.

·
Registered
359 Posts
jk750 said:
Look Ferris... I'm sure that since this happened TWO YEARS ago... he got a key. :eek:nfloor :lao
:spank :drool :eek:nfloor :tardsmash :wtf

BURY THREAD

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Thank you for bumping an ANCIENT thread. And Im sure you can shimmy the closed cap off once you have taken all of the screws out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts