Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 F4i and the damned CCT

I've long read about the crappy and prone to failure CCTs that Honda has put on F4is and wondered if my 2003 would eventually succumb to the same fate, and sure enough, on my ride home this evening with a little over 7,000 miles on my bike I start to hear a sound the ressembles little pebbles rolling around in a tin can. For a few seconds, I raise my visor and ask myself what the hell that noise is, do I have something loose? It doesn't take long for me to realize it's probably the CCT going bad and I couldn't help but speak outloud and say, "Fucking Honda...".

I mean, how long are they going to ignore the fact they need to issue a recall on their bikes and offer free replacements because the component is obviously flawed? I know the fix is cheap and it's not that big of a deal, but the consumer shouldn't have to put up with this kind of crap. Honda needs to step up to the bar and admit they have a design problem.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We Iowans...leading the way, I tell ya. If you find it, let me know. I intend on first having a conversation with Garvis Honda and if that doesn't come out as I plan, Honda Corporate. I'd prefer to buy a superior part and have Garvis install it at no charge, versus having them put another crappy OEM part on that will fail in another 6000-some-odd miles. Of course, if I can get Honda/Garvis Honda to agree to support this issue even as the bike is out of warranty and they'll keep replacing the repeatedly failing CCT over and over again at no charge...that's fine too.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Groovy. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CCT = ?? For us newbs... Is it the fuel level meter? If it's not, then that's another damn problem for a lot of CBR's (or so I hear)!! :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
put in a manual CCT and you won't have to worry about it ever again. Don't bother letting Honda replace it, it will just have to be replaced again and again. Trust me, I know a ton about this subject.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm scheduled for my 8000 mile routine maintenance check in a few weeks. I'm going to walk into Honda with a manual CCT and say to them, "Replace your defective crap with this..."

·
Registered
377 Posts
As the cam chain stretches the CCT keeps tension on it. IT keeps it from stretching out and jumping gears. I just replaced mine tonight. It wasnt that hard but it takes a bit of patience. As I was test riding the damn thing backed out so make sure you have it nice and tight when you install it.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
TheWraith said:
on my ride home this evening with a little over 7,000 miles on my bike I start to hear a sound the ressembles little pebbles rolling around in a tin can.
I've had mine up to 11,000 with no problems. I bought it used with 3100 on it and maybe the dude before me got to it.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
mtnryder said:
could someone explain how you would know when a new CCT is needed?
you will know..... :)

mine rattles at i think 3-4k, and 6-7k

·
Registered
270 Posts
Okay, first your CCT isn't bad, its you CCTL. Secondly I just replace mine with the new J23 CCTL and it was a faulty part from the factory. I got a second new J23 and it worked fine. So I'm quite p*ssed at honda cause I had to replace my CCTL twice in 3 days. Very annoying.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bssrf4 said:
Okay, first your CCT isn't bad, its you CCTL. Secondly I just replace mine with the new J23 CCTL and it was a faulty part from the factory. I got a second new J23 and it worked fine. So I'm quite p*ssed at honda cause I had to replace my CCTL twice in 3 days. Very annoying.
What's a CCTL?

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
So, does it hurt your bike if you have a cctl that rattles.

I just bought a bike, and when I gas it to and from only 5-7 k RPM, it makes a rattle noise.

IS this bad?

Thanks,
Jon

1 - 20 of 31 Posts