Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to put a lower profile exhaust on my bike but it seems that 2002 is some kinda dead zone for much of the stuff i'm interested in. here are a coupla pics showing the direction i'd like to take...

these are from HR1. they don't list a model for my bike, but this is where i'd like to end up. 1st choice is the lower mount, but it may be that the higher mount wouldn't require as much cutting? i dunno...

thanks for any ideas...

:cheers

·
Dental Rider
381 Posts
Do you have a ZX6E or ZX6R? Th ZX6R has a bunch of options out there. BTW, your top pic is a 250R and your bottom one is a ZX6R

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a ZX6E or ZX6R? Th ZX6R has a bunch of options out there. BTW, your top pic is a 250R and your bottom one is a ZX6R
well, technically i have a ZX6 J, which, if i understand correctly, should be considered an R...maybe?

as for the pics, i'm just referring to the styles i'm looking for, altho i think they both came from a ZX6 page. funny.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, it looks like i'm gonna have to cut my pipe to do a low mount as pictured above. can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to do this? also can anyone recommend a small can that would be used on that kind of low mount exhaust.

i have my service manual, the hayes manual and the 101 projects for sportbikes book, but nothing clear on exhaust work. i also read this (http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/how-tos-section/339070-vfr800-custom-cf-devil-dual-underseat-exhaust.html) thread and while it offers some good info, i'd like to see something more specific to my project before i start chopping up my bike.

:)

thanks for any ideas...

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ZX6 J1 is a ZX6R. You can also look at later model ZZR600 bikes that are basically the exact same bike minus the decals.Your best option is to cut of the existing bolt flange where the muffler bolts to the header pipe and have a muffler shop fabricate a mid pipe to run into a slip on shorty that will exit just behind the right rearset and have them to cut off the mounting point off the passenger peg and weld it to bolt up with the new shorty.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
well, technically i have a ZX6 J, which, if i understand correctly, should be considered an R...maybe?

as for the pics, i'm just referring to the styles i'm looking for, altho i think they both came from a ZX6 page. funny.

thanks for any help.

Be sure and look for pipes for the ZZR bikes, which are near identical to the 00-02 ZX6rs (both are ZX600J models). I have heard that one model year of the 636 will swap headers with this bike, so if you found which and bought a 636 header you'd have more options for can selection.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, thanks guys.

when lookin' for a shop do you think it would matter if it was automotive? we have shit for decent bike places around here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All you're wanting to do is bend up some pipe to make it work, so either place that can bend pipe will work. If you come out cheaper by going to an automotive place then so be it. Just whatever gets the job done and has the results you're looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts