Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a new 2002 Bandit 1200 N for my first bike. Any recommendations or suggestions before I purchase? Would this be a good first bike? So far the bike reviews seem good (except for one that mentioned a weak clutch). thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lol, I picked up the bike today...the facial expression on the mechanics face when I told him this was my first road bike said it all! I have a month of parking lot racing ahead of me before I hit the road...so far this bike seems very nice and powerful ;) I just need to get adjusted to the weight. Are there not many Bandit owners? Maybe another messageboard with more Bandit traffic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link

The deal was to good to pass up...

btw, I have started getting the hang of the bike in a closed parking lot and have scheduled the MSF course for mid august.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: So far so good. I ended up skipping the parking lot...and practiced around my neighborhood. Weekend total 65 miles added to the OD.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Good luck to you! Not the wisest decision-they make a 600 Bandit in case you did not hear. But, you own it so be careful-I'd put engine guards on it ASAP. You will drop that bike in all probability and they will save alot of damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a cost issue. MSRP was $7900...I walked away with $2500 off a brand new (3 miles) bike w/ full warranty. I was going to get the FZ6 but once I sat on the bandit I knew I had to switch. It's a pretty mellow engine but I have not been over 4500 yet.
Thanks for the info about the frame sliders.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bandit 1200s as first bike...

So how is the Bandit? It would appear any bike would do just fine as a first bike if you recognize YOUR limits relative to the bikes performance. The Bandit is a great ride, and man, what a deal! I hear guys are getting new, 0 mile, 2004's for <6500. I've got nearly 50k on my 01 Bandit 1200s and it's running great! Hope yours works out as well. I'd like to hear your impression on the Bandit from a new riders POV.

Oh, yeah, hope you got that MSF course. Also, check into taking the Experienced Rider Course (maybe next spring?).

Ride often and minimize your risks.

Attachments

·
Crusted over
124 Posts
Now's the time to start being reeeealllly careful. You're past the break-in stage, and probably starting to explore the upper rev range, where the 1200 is decidely UN-mellow. You're probably also starting to feel more confident on the bike. It's a false confidence. Remind yourself to slow down and take it easy. You've got a helluva lotta bike for your first time on two wheels--it'll kill you as soon as look at you if you muck things up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far everything is going great! I took the bike out with my father in law and explored the mid to upper rpm range ;) but did not get carried away (no pun intended)! I am still careful in the turns. After 1500 miles I have not noticed any smoke from the pipe and the oil level hass not moved since it was changed at 600 so maybe it is not going to be a problem.

I did shim the main needles to richen the bike a tad...they do come pretty lean!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts