Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
um, twinsen, i have a 00 R1 and and 03gix1k in my garage, have ridden both and give you a bit of feedback. my .02.

the 01 R1 is essentially the same bike as my 00 so, the hp won't be different by much. I believe stock the R1 had somthing like 134 hp. does the one you are looking at have a pipe? I have an Akro (full system and a couple of other mods) on mine and make 143 at the rear wheel. My bf Gix is an 03 w/an Arata full system (and the airbox mod, and short stacks) and pulls 160 hp. although the Gix take off like a slingshot, my R1 keeps up fairly well on the straights w/him ahead of me. As for the corners, well, that is a different story. My R1 slaps the shit out of the Gix. the Gix handling is good, really good, but the R1 is better. As for weight, the weight is different. Essentially, they weigh in the ball park of the other, but the Suzuki (this is all of them IMO) weight "feels" higher and is therefore harder for me to manuver off the sidestand. The R1 weight "feels" lower, and I can literally just flick it upright w/o any problems. If you can get the R1 for less than 5k, do it. I have NEVER been disappointed in my R1. I am planning on upgrading at some point to an 04 w/o question, but I wouldn't get rid of my R1 for a zook.

like i said, just my .02, keep us updated on what happens

6,508 Posts
if you ride it home, you won't have to tuck until you get around 90 or so. but that seat gets hard around 150 miles, so shift it around plenty. i rode mine like 8 hours straight (w/exception for gas) and omg, i hurt later, but i didn't move either. music helps too.

6,508 Posts
well, you don't HAVE to tuck, i usually just lay over the tank around 90-95 just b/c i only weigh 120 pounds and the wind on me is a tad more strong than on say, your average 150-160 pound male. hell, my bf don't even start tucking until around 100 but he is bit heavier than me too (by like 60 pounds) so the wind doesn't blow him all over the place either.

yeah, gotacha w/the lady friend and Suv, but hey, get the bike home and throw it on some front and rear stands and have your "quality time" then...

6,508 Posts
hell, you've seen my avatar? my helmet sure as hell don't match! my bike is blue, my helmet is a dragon lady LE from Icon. have you ever seen one of those? they are obnoxiously loud...but everyone knows it's me.

6,508 Posts
EricKC said:
There you go talking about your Dragon Lady LE again as if anyone knows what the hell that is.
easy there tiger.

for the un-informed...my Icon is dragon lady. and yeah, i can only imagine trying to match a helmet to your bike eric. damn near impossible, i'm sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.