Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Sale!

So this bike is for sale locally. Currently on eBay. Although I was pretty set on getting another Gixxer, it's taking quite the while to actually find one locally. Been looking almost ever since my last one was stolen. :rolleyes: I have a friend that lives in Wshington that I'll be visitng next week who had a brother that died and left a 2000 R1 a behind. He has left it sitting, with the ocasional start and ride to make sure it still runs. So I may end up getting that.

But Washington, DC is a 13 hour journey and I don't know if I'll be able to trailer it home on the rental. But anyway, my friend said he would cut me a deal if I enjoyed it enough and wanted to buy it. Not like he's trying to sell it anyway, he's had it for 4 years. If he let's me have it for $5000 or under, I just may have to ride it home. But how much of a small step down is a 2000 / 2001 R1 from a 2004 GSX-R 1000? Is it lighter, heavier? I'm pretty sure it's power is a bit less, but it can't be that much. I guess I'll only truly know when I ride it next week...

But I'd like to hear your opinions. Also, if I were to get another 1000, it would probably be an '01-'02 instead of an '03-'04. I have a video downloaded at the house of an '01 R1 with a pipe versus a stock '01 GSX-R 1000 down the autobahn and the 1000 pulled from the R1 quite easily. Even in the top-gear roll-ons, the 1000 was in 6th, the R1 in 5th and still got reeled in...

But anyway, like I said...your opinions!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If the R1 can be had for under 5 G's then i'd get that. who cares if it's heavier and a little slower? if your not taking it to the track it shouldn't matter.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
um, twinsen, i have a 00 R1 and and 03gix1k in my garage, have ridden both and give you a bit of feedback. my .02.

the 01 R1 is essentially the same bike as my 00 so, the hp won't be different by much. I believe stock the R1 had somthing like 134 hp. does the one you are looking at have a pipe? I have an Akro (full system and a couple of other mods) on mine and make 143 at the rear wheel. My bf Gix is an 03 w/an Arata full system (and the airbox mod, and short stacks) and pulls 160 hp. although the Gix take off like a slingshot, my R1 keeps up fairly well on the straights w/him ahead of me. As for the corners, well, that is a different story. My R1 slaps the shit out of the Gix. the Gix handling is good, really good, but the R1 is better. As for weight, the weight is different. Essentially, they weigh in the ball park of the other, but the Suzuki (this is all of them IMO) weight "feels" higher and is therefore harder for me to manuver off the sidestand. The R1 weight "feels" lower, and I can literally just flick it upright w/o any problems. If you can get the R1 for less than 5k, do it. I have NEVER been disappointed in my R1. I am planning on upgrading at some point to an 04 w/o question, but I wouldn't get rid of my R1 for a zook.

like i said, just my .02, keep us updated on what happens

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll prolly get it either way. Cause my friend said he'd even let me do payments cause he didn't want to even sell it before he found out about my situation. But gettin' that sucker home will be a bitch. Don't know if I could stand 13 hours STRAIGHT tucking...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
WTF!?!?!?!!!!! i didnt read the thread on the stolen bike, but your gixxer was stolen? thats f'n crazy!!! damn, that was a good lookin bike! sorry to hear that. i'm gonna read your thread on it right now!!!

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
if you ride it home, you won't have to tuck until you get around 90 or so. but that seat gets hard around 150 miles, so shift it around plenty. i rode mine like 8 hours straight (w/exception for gas) and omg, i hurt later, but i didn't move either. music helps too.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, if I do end up riding it home, it may be the only exception to me listening to music. But I really don't want to ride it home because I was supposed to be spending..."quality time" with a lady friend in the SUV we're renting. Oh, and when I was on the Gixxer, I wouldn't even tuck until I got to 100mph. :D

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
well, you don't HAVE to tuck, i usually just lay over the tank around 90-95 just b/c i only weigh 120 pounds and the wind on me is a tad more strong than on say, your average 150-160 pound male. hell, my bf don't even start tucking until around 100 but he is bit heavier than me too (by like 60 pounds) so the wind doesn't blow him all over the place either.

yeah, gotacha w/the lady friend and Suv, but hey, get the bike home and throw it on some front and rear stands and have your "quality time" then...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Twinsen said:
Yeah, if I do end up riding it home, it may be the only exception to me listening to music. But I really don't want to ride it home because I was supposed to be spending..."quality time" with a lady friend in the SUV we're renting.
Well, rent a pick-up instead. :spank (I want the d'oh smilie back!)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Who tucks at less than 140?

The R1 is a nice bike, my friend let me ride his and I believe it is an 01 and to tell you that bike feels like it is balanced so damn well. I didn't really hit up any twisties or anything but it seems like it will handle great. If you pick it up for less than 5 grand you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If I can do 350 in a 1/2 day with the RC and not feel much pain at all, you can surely do that ride without too much pain :D I'm getting ready to do a 3400 round trip too!

Gold bond will be your friend. Maybe order a throttle rocker too, it'll help your right wrist.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm pretty set on getting it. Haven't gotten a chance to talk to my friend yet though, he didn't pick up when I called earlier, but I left him a message saying I want it. I haven't even asked him what color it is. God I hope it's blue. I'm not buying anymore helmets god damnit. I've bought 6 in my riding career...

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
hell, you've seen my avatar? my helmet sure as hell don't match! my bike is blue, my helmet is a dragon lady LE from Icon. have you ever seen one of those? they are obnoxiously loud...but everyone knows it's me.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
silent_R1 said:
hell, you've seen my avatar? my helmet sure as hell don't match! my bike is blue, my helmet is a dragon lady LE from Icon. have you ever seen one of those? they are obnoxiously loud...but everyone knows it's me.

There you go talking about your Dragon Lady LE again as if anyone knows what the hell that is.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Speaking of matching helmets try matching a helmet to Candy Blaze ORANGE!

Yeah I went with flat black.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
EricKC said:
There you go talking about your Dragon Lady LE again as if anyone knows what the hell that is.
easy there tiger.

for the un-informed...my Icon is dragon lady. and yeah, i can only imagine trying to match a helmet to your bike eric. damn near impossible, i'm sure.

·
Registered
681 Posts
silent_R1 said:
easy there tiger.

for the un-informed...my Icon is dragon lady. and yeah, i can only imagine trying to match a helmet to your bike eric. damn near impossible, i'm sure.
Nahhhhhhh, just use the same paint on the helmet that was sprayed on the bike.....pretty simple solution really. :alky

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts