Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 zx7r, 7500 miles, it was sitting for about 6 months, i drained most of the gas out of the tank, drained it completely out of the fuel lines, and the carbs, prior to sitting. I went to fire it back, and it wont idle, it will run if you give it some gas, but will not idle, with or without choke. To drive it runs fine, doesnt sound completely right. I flushed the carbs thinking maybe there was some sediment or bad gas, the airfilter is clean, everything is hooked up, so i thought its gotta be the spark plugs, does anyone know how to get them out, i got the boots off the plugs. Either i dont have the right socket, or i was getting too pissed off. anyone have any Ideas?

·
Registered
220 Posts
you need a socket with an extention to reach. with just 7500 miles on the bike i doubt the plugs are bad. not from just sitting anyway, but pull them out and check the ends and see if any oil is on them.

have you tried adjusting the the idle? right below the tank there is an area that you can kinda slip your hand into, in this area is a knob that you can manually adjust to make the bike idle higher or lower. just adjust it a bit so it idles a bit higher. when i bought my bike it idled below 1000 rpm and every time i came to a stop it would stall out. i adjust that idle a bit higher to exactly 1000 rpm and it solved all my problems. I had to do this and the bike only had 4200 miles on it. its been super ever since.

by the way, the tool kit that came with your bike has a spark plug socket and extention to reach down and un screw/screw the spark plugs in and out. it also has a little black rubber o-ring type thing in the end of it to "grab" the spark plug. this makes it easy to pull it out. hope this helps!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Same thing is going on with my bike now too, it sat for most of last year, used the liquid carb cleaner, fuel boost, I think I am going to actually change the plugs and see if that helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the fuel additive carb cleaner and it helped some, What is the best one to use? How do i check the jets?

thanks for the info about that tool kit, i always wonder what that tool was for and never realized it.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
spike2669 said:
I tried the fuel additive carb cleaner and it helped some, What is the best one to use? How do i check the jets?

thanks for the info about that tool kit, i always wonder what that tool was for and never realized it.

Sounds like a jet is clogged.

Short of taking the carbs off, you cannot get to the jets.

Try some Techron full system cleaner concentrate. Maybe that will loosen up some of the goo.

Stone

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you can get to the carbs and know what you are doing, then good on ya! Carbs are soo fun, lots of adjustments, I'm going through this now since I just moved "up" in altitude. My Factory jet kit is not liking the low end, making normal driving almost impossible around town in traffic.

If you're not sure, hit the shop and get a carb adjustment done, the plugs are not that hard, just getting to them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took out the spark plugs and they were fouled, i cleaned them up and she idles out, smells alittle rich, so there still maybe some gum in the carbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts