Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 r1 .I test drove it no issues.I drove it home and then went to crank it earlier.I had to give it alot of gas to finaly get it cranked.Then going down the road it starys sputtering I gas it and it evens out.does his sounds like the carbed needs to be cleaned? if not any ideas?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It has "carburetors" and it is a "carburated" motorcycle. What about the choke, did you use it when you were trying to get it started? Did you let it fully warm up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I choked it before trying to crank.I did let it warm up a good 10 minutes before trying to ride.It hesitates as IM going down the road like its not getting enough fuel just wondering if the bike could need the carbs cleaned.I had a carbed Gixxr ,a carbed katana as well never ran into the hesitation Before .Was just lookin for a little advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could be carbs need to be cleaned also could be a kinked fuel line or restricted petcock..When is the last time the plugs and filter were changed..I would check the fuel tank for rust and see where that leads you..What about the kickstand safety switch is it being held firmly depressed when the stand is up..?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Used bike, new to you? Go back to the last scheduled maintenance and do everything on that list. Better safe then sorry. If the bike has stood for a while, running rough is not unusual for a 'carbed' (carburated) motorcycle. If it doesn't get better after a tank of gas, then you might consider carb cleaner.
Did you come off a FI bike?
Carbs and fuel Injection respond differently to throttle on-off. It's subtle, but I'm not the only one that can feel the difference. So a slight hesitation at certain RPM ranges might just be the nature of the beast. I've never ridden an R-1. Too old for that stuff.:happy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah there's rust in the tank gonna pull it clean that out,then go down the list as suggested.will let you know how it comes out .No my last bike was carbed I haven't had a FI bike yet .Are the FI bikes that much better.I know you can install power commander and map em .

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Rust in tank is a PITA, I'd be looking for another, rust free, tank. That stuff just keeps flaking off and clogging things up, and E10 is just going to make it worse.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I like the EFI much better. Not so much for the power boost, which is minimal (on paper), but for the maintenance. Carbs have gas in them all the time. if given the chance that gas evaporates, leaving behind real nasty stuff. Stuff that blocks the jets and clogs the floats. Some of the gas turns into water, which drains down and rusts the plugs. I have even seen rings get rusty.
EFI, doesn't have those problems. EFI is heavy. The injectors are about the same but proper EFI needs the gas under pressure. That means a fuel pump. No petcock, so you need a fuel gauge. You don't even want to run out of gas with an EFI. That means priming the pump, or so I've been told.
S.Tod is right about the tank. Considering how many R-1's get wrecked by young men who will never grow old, it should be easy to find one that isn't rusty inside. Take a dental mirror and a gooseneck flashlight so you can check. Swing by the dealer first and find out what a new one costs. Would you know a good deal if it slapped you in the face?
The old school trick for de-rusting (is that a real word?) tanks was to get a good spray gun rig and use the Flexi-Tip to spray Marvel Mystery OIL inside the tank, let it sit for a few hours then fill it with sand blasting beads. Then take it down to the Paint store and pay the clerk to put it in the paint mixer for 10 or 15 min. That should take it down to bare metal.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I like the EFI much better. Not so much for the power boost, which is minimal (on paper), but for the maintenance. Carbs have gas in them all the time. if given the chance that gas evaporates, leaving behind real nasty stuff. Stuff that blocks the jets and clogs the floats. Some of the gas turns into water, which drains down and rusts the plugs. I have even seen rings get rusty.
EFI, doesn't have those problems. EFI is heavy. The injectors are about the same but proper EFI needs the gas under pressure. That means a fuel pump. No petcock, so you need a fuel gauge. You don't even want to run out of gas with an EFI. That means priming the pump, or so I've been told.
S.Tod is right about the tank. Considering how many R-1's get wrecked by young men who will never grow old, it should be easy to find one that isn't rusty inside. Take a dental mirror and a gooseneck flashlight so you can check. Swing by the dealer first and find out what a new one costs. Would you know a good deal if it slapped you in the face?
The old school trick for de-rusting (is that a real word?) tanks was to get a good spray gun rig and use the Flexi-Tip to spray Marvel Mystery OIL inside the tank, let it sit for a few hours then fill it with sand blasting beads. Then take it down to the Paint store and pay the clerk to put it in the paint mixer for 10 or 15 min. That should take it down to bare metal.
I've ran out of gas on EFI bikes several times, and no, you just add more gas and it will start up right away. The real danger to running out of gas on EFI bikes is damage to the fuel pump, they use the fuel too cool the pump, run out of gas and the pump will go to max power trying to build up pressure, all it will do is run at full power without coolant.

As for carburated bikes, they are perfectly fine, they are smooth and as long as you don't leave them parked for too long the carburetors won't need any special attention. I've had my XJR1300 for three years, sometimes it spends months parked and it will always start up no problems.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
"I've ran out of gas on EFI bikes several times, and no, you just add more gas and it will start up right away. "

Thanks, that is good to know. I have my anal retentive merit badge and checking the gas is a pre-launch task. OIL, gas, tires, chain, then I fire her up and check lights, roll it a bit to check brakes. My habit is to know all the bits are working a little at least before heading out to dice with the Devil. The Devil cheats, so it's good the load the dice first. MY first EFI bike was a 919. I noticed the difference between EFI and carbs, so when I replaced the underseat pipes with a 4x2x1(900RR) I took it to a local guru for dyno tuning. That is how I learned the difference between group and sequential fuel injection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you remove the petcock you should find small screen filters on the backside,they usually become plugged with rust..If you cant find another tank look into a tank liner also at this point cleaning the carbs is probably a must..I always run a second inline fuel filter on older bikes they are only a few dollars and help prevent less contaminates reaching the carbs..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts