Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, i am about to buy a 2001 ZX-6R. i was wondering some thoughts on this bike? i have been riding for about 3 years now. my dad first bought me a Ninja 500 because he got a hell of a deal on it. to make a long story short, i have been offered a good deal on my bike and it is going to give me enough money to buy the 600R.

How much torque do they have? (do you have to use the clutch to bring up the front wheel, or is just getting on the gas in 2nd and 3rd, plenty enough power to bring it up?)

How do they relate to other 600's in speed wise?

Thank You.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
No clutch needed for them. Speed wise, around that year 01'-02', it is so close, it doesn't even matter

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
speed wise the difference compared to other 600s will be minimal, and no you don't have to use the clutch to get the front up

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
torque? the torque on 600cc bikes hasnt changed much in the last 15-20 years. around 40-50 ft-lbs. horsepower is what has been on the move, and for 2001 the 6R had plenty, 111 at the crank.

you can power it up in first, but it takes some throttle and you have to be up in the revs a bit. I have powered it up in 2nd at highway speed, I downshifted well into the powerband and it came up on me. if you plan on doing this a lot invest in a steering damper. if I want to wheelie on purpose, I use clutch...just preference, easier on the chain.

the bike is my perfect motorcycle. speed, sharp handling, comfortable, reliable, and inexpensive for what you get. 50 mpg is nice in these times, and I can get that cruising at 100+.

how do they relate to other 600's? well, my friend is a very good rider who rides his R1 hard and I can keep up with him on the backroads. you will have no problem against other 600's, if you want to drag race it will be up to you to win the race not the bike, it will be pretty evenly matched with any supersport.

·
Registered
150 Posts
GreenZED said:
torque? the torque on 600cc bikes hasnt changed much in the last 15-20 years. around 40-50 ft-lbs. horsepower is what has been on the move, and for 2001 the 6R had plenty, 111 at the crank.

you can power it up in first, but it takes some throttle and you have to be up in the revs a bit. I have powered it up in 2nd at highway speed, I downshifted well into the powerband and it came up on me. if you plan on doing this a lot invest in a steering damper. if I want to wheelie on purpose, I use clutch...just preference, easier on the chain.

the bike is my perfect motorcycle. speed, sharp handling, comfortable, reliable, and inexpensive for what you get. 50 mpg is nice in these times, and I can get that cruising at 100+.

how do they relate to other 600's? well, my friend is a very good rider who rides his R1 hard and I can keep up with him on the backroads. you will have no problem against other 600's, if you want to drag race it will be up to you to win the race not the bike, it will be pretty evenly matched with any supersport.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :cheers You'll love it!

·
Registered
200 Posts
It won't roll on like a geared 954, which will do 2nd gear to bp at 3000 with -1 +5 (I know I owned one) but they're fast.

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
GreenZED said:

+1

I agree with him. It's hard to add anything to that other than I really like mine too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
+1 Mine is great. Its a 2000 but still not any different really. Was racing my friends 03 GSXR and we both win depending on the launch or how "on" we are that day.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Coming from an EX500, you are going to be absolutely thrilled with a 600.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts