Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2001 kawasaki ninja 500r. After it runs for a while it will idle down to 500 rpms. Eventually it dies. Where is the idle adjustment screw? Do you think this would fix my problem?

Will the idle mixture screw fix my smoke problem? It is of a grey color. Does this mean my mixture is too rich?

thankyou ~

cammy67

·
Registered
968 Posts
Definitely sounds like a mixture problem. I don't think the idle adjustment screw is the answer. I sounds like a stuck float in your carbs. Or a really, really bad mixture. Your mixture screws are on the bottom of each carb. Turn them all the way closed (count how many turns). Then try setting each one at 1 and 1/2 turns out. At max maybe 2 1/2 for where you are I'm thinking. If that doesn't do it it's likely to be a stuck float, defective petcock, clogged air filter. I'm putting my money on an internal carb problem though. Be sure to change your plugs (fouled) and your oil (probably a ton of raw fuel in it -- take off the oil cap and use your nose).

Post up your progress.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Try banging the fuel bowls with the handle of a hammer. The fuel bowls are the very bottom part of the carburetor. Do both of them. If it's a stuck float, that might set it free.

Do you know if this bike has been modified at all? Like aftermarket intake/exhaust? That may have meant somebody messed with the idle screws. Else, the screws are probably ok and it's something else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I suggest getting a Haynes manual ($15) and removing the carbs to fully inspect them. If somebody let the fuel sit for a while, there might be gunk inside that needs to be cleaned. It's worth removing the carbs and fully inspecting them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts