Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First post.

So I just have a gsxr 600 from 2001. It's a fuel injected bike. After purchasing it, on the way home, I noticed that if I accelerated the bike hard, the throttle chops immensely. This happens throughout the rpm range. I can rev the bike high fine, but I have to do so very slowly or else the throttle will become choppy. I also almost completely lose traction during these jolts, which makes the experience terrifying.

The bike also sort of drones when you let the rpms sit at one specific level. For example if I let the rpms sit at 45 mph at 6k, the bike sort of lurches around and drones. It sounds like its running lean almost, the same sort of feeling I had when my ninja 250r had dirty carbs. It's incredibly hard to describe, but the bike doesn't seam happy sitting at a specific rpm.

I thought maybe it was bad gas but I have since gone through 3 tanks.

I was going to try either seafoam or installing new spark plugs next week. Does anyone else have any recommendations? It's nice having my acceleration kept in check but its annoying on the highways when attempting to overtake.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Seafoam was my first thought. New spark plugs would be a good idea as well.

If those don't do it, my next thought would be Throttle Position Sensor. On an FI bike there's a sensor that tells the ECU how 'open' you have the throttle so the FI pushes the appropriate amount of fuel. It does this by sending a range of voltage, increasing as you twist the throttle/give it gas. When the TPS goes bad, this voltage signal gets hosed, so that it will suddenly drop, or increase, or even fail altogether. That could be what's behind your throttle choppiness; but it isn't my first thought because the ECU usually detects a TPS problem and throws an error code. If your FI light is flashing, I believe that is how the ECU tells you that an error was detected and a code is available.

·
Registered
971 Posts
One other thing when you change the plugs, change or clean the air filter and make sure nothing built a nest in your air intake over the winter. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts