Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Gixxer 1000, the trans makes a noise that sounds like the gears are loose. When I start the bike with the clutch ingaged, it is quiet, but when I let the clutch out while in neutral you can hear the trans gears engaging and kind of rattling.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Has your bike been abused ? It is a 1k, and your name is "Ruff Ryda" so I have to ask...lol How many miles ?

Could be a lot of things, but most likely, bad bearings or wore gears. One of my cousin's has an '89 FZR, that makes terrible noises, especially in 2nd, loud grinding/rattling noises. He was told one of the gears might be missing a tooth or two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to clarify - engaged is clutch lever out, disengaged is clutch lever in. If you "let the clutch out", you're egaging the clutch.

If you hear noise in neutral when your clutch is engaged (lever out), then it may be your throwout bearing. Was the clutch replaced recently? If it was, it's probably not an issue - a lot of places will use too little grease on the throwout and it will keep spinning even when the clutch isn't engaged.

Try just squeezing your clutch, not enough to actually disenagge fully, and see if the rattling goes away. If so, probably bearings. If you haven't had the clutch replaced recently, you might want to look into it.

If the clutch is out and you're hearing tranny noise, that's a whole different matter...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gixxer_Six2003 said:
Has your bike been abused ? It is a 1k, and your name is "Ruff Ryda" so I have to ask...lol How many miles ?

Could be a lot of things, but most likely, bad bearings or wore gears. One of my cousin's has an '89 FZR, that makes terrible noises, especially in 2nd, loud grinding/rattling noises. He was told one of the gears might be missing a tooth or two.
Actually, I don't ride rough. :rolleyes: I bought the bike used off of here. It was a long trip to get it and I didn't get to ride it much when I got there to look at it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if the trans in the 2004 is the same as the 2001? Most of the part numbers are the same.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Okay, so the clutch determines the noise right? then its not the tranny. the transmission is ALWAYS engaged with its self. Thats why they call it constant mesh transmission. I would suspect the clutch has sever problems and would try to fix it now

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
Explain "loose" if it's only when you accelerate or let off the throttle and it's clunky I'd look at the clutch basket...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts