Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was riding, I noticed my low oil light came on. I pulled over, we checked the oil level and it seemed good. Contiued to ride and It didnt come back on. On the way back it came back on a few times, but only for a few seconds, and was off for the rest of the ride. Everything seemed still to ok it didnt ride any different.
Any one have any ideas?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The light indicates low oil pressure, not oil level (although low oil level can give you low pressure). It could be the oil pump, a bad pressure sensor, or clogged internal oil channels. If the oil level is good (checked with bike level, not on side stand), I'd start with the wires connected to the pressure sensor. Any pattern to when the light came on?

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
The sensor is affected by level in a way. It bolts into the bottom of the pan. Typical of yamaha is that the sensor tends to start acting funny. The wires also run up the back of the engine so they do get hot and can burn on exhaust if not watched for placement.

I really wouldnt worry about it. The fact is, once you have seen the light, the damage is already done if its a low oil pressure scenario. That light is really only there to tell you the engine is now [email protected]

If it progresses in occurance, there is a port on the side of the engine that allows for oil pressure gauge to be threaded into it and your service manual will tell you where and how much pressure at what rpm. You can do that to be sure but most times its not a problem.

Yamaha is one of the only manufacturers that uses the design they do. Almost all of the rest use a sensor in a main oil galley, meaning that on a typical older kawasaki or suzuki, that light was a bad thing to see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts