Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how are you guys doing? hope all is well. i am having issues with my bike it wont start. i got a new harness instaled it but the connector to the rectifier is burnt so i have to get that repaird.when i turn the key on the fuel pump doesnt come on ,does the rectifier control the fuel pump??? cheers!!! safe riding

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
ummmm, take it to a pro.

ask them to get it set up for you.

debugging a wiring harness is long, complex, and frustrating. Not a good job for a beginner.

now with that out of the way the answer to your question is:

Yes,without the rectifier you are running the bike off the battery and will drain it.
or
No, the charging system has nothing to do with the fuelling system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info bro.... i already swaped the new connector fuel pump wont come on and the spark comes when i turn the key in the off position

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
so is this bike recently acquired and you don't know the history? or is this something that just showed up out of the blue?
without knowing anything about the bike I will throw out there thatthere is a fuse (should be) for the fuel pump and a relay. might want to look into both of those.

I think you can get a factory service manual at the R1messagenet.com. look in the maintenance section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got the bike from a guy in westpalmbeach he said it was sitting for about 16 months .. im getting spark when i turn the key off??its driving me nutz but i need to get riding ..smh

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
im getting spark when i turn the key off??its driving me nutz but i need to get riding ..smh
A spark firing when you turn the key off means that current is flowing threw the coil.
The spark plugs fire when the current flow to their coil is interrupted, turning the ignition off does this.

Normally your ecu does this by interrupting the path to ground of the coils. right now for whatever reason the path to ground is not getting disrupted.

posibilities are:
ecu broken, not disrupting the ground.
ecu not getting the crank position sensor signal either because the crank position sensor is faulty, broken generator rotor woodruff key, or the wiring between the crank position sensor and the computer is broken.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The service manual I gave you has a trouble shooting section as chapter 8.
8-8(pg. 389) is the start of ignition trouble shooting.
To test your cps check its resistance, it should be between 250-400 Ohms.

I also suggest you charge your battery so that you know that it is good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts