Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. After my brother dropped it this early summer, I replaced the wiring harness, coils, plugs, oil, filter, starter covers and battery. When I hit the start button, it sounds like the pistons barely move 2-3 inches, the guages really dim, then reboot, I hear the main fuse(30amp) terminal click or it may be the ecu, the fuel pump primes all over again. I took the starter cover off to check the starter and it does spin freely but I cant tell what it is doing under load. I am thinking something is not grounded right or the starter clutch is gone creating heavy resistance to the starter. I didnt see any metal shavings or unusual wear on the starter sprockets. I am pretty mechanically inclined but this has me seriously stumped. Any help or input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could possibly be an improper ground or the starter motor could be shorting across the coils. Whatever it is it sounds like something is drawing too much current. With the bike off find a good ground on your bike. Remove the battery. Start at the begining of your starter system, check the resistance between the switch and the ground. The relay and the ground(assuming your bike has a starter relay). Check the motor and the ground. If you find low resistance then your bike has an short. This way you can isolate the problem and correct it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Was the bike in neutral? I was just thinking that the clutch might be grabbing, Preventing the engine from turning over and causing the starter to overload.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts