Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I took my new CBR out today for a spin and it ran great. It started fine and I was off. I stopped for a bite to eat and went back to start and it wouldn't start. I kept cranking and turned the throttle a little and it started right up but quit again. It will not idle! I got it started again and left the throttle in and took off, coming to a stoplight and I left off the throttle and pulled in the clutch and it quit again and it continued to do that all the way home. It idles fine when it's cold but when it's warm and has been running it quits. Any suggestions what I could do to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
sounds like the bike is running rich and fouling your plugs up......try pulling the plugs and checking if they are black. If so, you can try changing to a hotter plug and if that doesn't fix it you will have to have the carbs cleaned or adjusted.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Is the bike carbureted? My 900 had the same problem. I just took the carburetor rack off and cleaned them out. I had some pretty nasty deposits in my 1 and 4 carb idle circuits. Once those cleared up, it ran great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
a little information for those experiencing this same problem. After i spent four 12hr days tryin to solve this puzzle i gave up and took it to the dealer for the fourth time. This time they said it would be free.3 days laters these honda people call me. The solution is not always the reg/rect battery or stator as you would expect.10% was a burned plug on the stator.The other 90% was the fact the fan had gone bad and was pulling 29 amps versus 15 like it should therefore the stator could not keep up with the demand at idle speeds.I hope this info saves someone else the headache and suicidal thoughts i have experienced over the past 2 mnths tryin to fix my bike to get back on the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
skater_107 said:
my 02 F4i is doing the same thing running really rich and its completly STOCK, fouled 2 of 4 plugs on my bike replaced them then still after 20 miles or so it wont hold idle and sounds like its missing in the 1k to 4k RPM range any idears?
You will probably need to adjust the throttle needle down a position....Try taking apart and cleaning your carbs too.If it is running rich you will probably have to clean them.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
StEvEoKiNeVeO911 said:
You will probably need to adjust the throttle needle down a position....Try taking apart and cleaning your carbs too.If it is running rich you will probably have to clean them.
yep. you should def do that on your fuel injected bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
enos said:
yep. you should def do that on your fuel injected bike.
Sorry man I didn't know it was fuel injected....I am new to sportbikes...as you can probably tell.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
skater_107 said:
my 02 F4i is doing the same thing running really rich and its completly STOCK, fouled 2 of 4 plugs on my bike replaced them then still after 20 miles or so it wont hold idle and sounds like its missing in the 1k to 4k RPM range any idears?
How does your air filter look?

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks pretty clean and still stock with the metal screen and everything looking really clean and yes my bike does not have CARBS its injected thats what the I stands for in F4i, goin to honda tommorow for them to just diagnose the problem, its smells like its running really rich and missing :dunno

·
Registered
501 Posts
is it sealed maintenance free, if not check the water level. check the voltage on it. also the problem could be with your coil not working so good when hot. make sure all battery and coil connections are good.

sounds to me like you are not getting a good spark when at low rpm

let us know what your dealer says

1 - 15 of 15 Posts