Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 CBR f4

I recently purchased this bike used.

When slowing down to a stop, such as a light or stop sign, when I am almost stopped the front right brake lets out a horrible squeal noise. I have removed the pads and scuffed them up cleaned the brake dust off, and reinstalled. It seemed to fix it for about 4 -5 stops, then it started again. The next time I did the same thing but swapped the pads around and it is still happening.
The pads in both front calipers appear to be the same in terms of brand / model.

The squealing occurs more frequently when my gf is a passenger, and she is only 115 lbs.

Logically I would think its a problem with the pads, but could there be somthing else wrong with the calipers? Just looking for some input on this problem because it drives me nuts and I am constantly thinking my brakes are going to fail on me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
metallic pads.

Why, yes..they are..what kind would you recommend?
Why is it that only the left side is squealing and not the right side??

Just for my own knowledge..what is the differences between the different types of brake pads available?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
376 Posts
they are? Metal on metal? Theres your squeal..

·
Registered
23 Posts
chilton_gm said:
I have removed the pads and scuffed them up cleaned the brake dust off, and reinstalled.
You need to scuff the discs up, too if you're gonna do that.
This allows the pads to "mate" with the rotors. The pads need to sorta glaze a layer of friction material on the disc itself.
(this is car shit, I'm assuming it's the same on a bike)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts