Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was breaking in my new race suit so I was out for a ride near my home.

Went into a corner I've already rode into really hard several times before.

Apparently there were rocks in the road but I couldn't see them because the road there is all stoney looking (as in the pavement has that stone-typed look to it so you wouldn't be able to see gravel unless it was REALLY thick).

Hit the rocks while leaned way over, bike slid out from underneath me.

Magically somehow the bike has like no damage aside from a little scuff on the end of the left handlebar. No damage to the fairings somehow (I went into the grass almost immediately upon going down).

It was pretty cool seeing the scuff marks and little tears (thanks to the gravel) on my brand new kangaroo suit my second time ever wearing it. I feel like I'm already over it now though because it's what happens to suits and it did it's job. I hit the pavement, slid into the grass and rolled. Got up, picked the bike up, started it up again and rode off with no injuries.

Then as I am riding along a few minutes later a cager pulls halfway out into the road and suddenly stops when he finally sees me. Which was good because I was about to end up in a stoppie otherwise, instead I was able to swerve and dodge him. I was just plugging along doing the speed limit or 5 mph over. It wasn't an intersection, just a suburban-typed back road and he was pulling out of a neighborhood.

The combination of these 2 things happening in a row all at once has made me seriously consider being track-only now, or at the very least spending a whole lot more money on track and a lot less time on the street. I think it wouldn't really be a bad thing anyways because I'd like to reach the pros someday.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Go with how you feel. I did a lot of track this year and it did two things; one slowed me way down on the street becuase I now realize how uncontrolled that enviroment is. Secondly I bought a DRZ 400 to ride on the road and it's a blast to ride at whatever speed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going down immediately slowed me down on the street and will permanently now.

Because I now understand, firsthand, how not-in-your-favor the streets are when you're on 2 wheels.

I was still trying to push and improve my skills and so on and so forth while on the street.

I'm going to stick to the track for that from now on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I lowsided 2 wks ago, 20-30mph on a corner I tried to push the turn-rate on. givi bag grounded hard and the rear let go. Thankfully no other vehicles were involved. I am ATGATT and was wearing textile overpants w/ basic armor and my heavy armored leather jacket. Wore a hole thru the overpants on my right butt-cheek and down on the right leg cuff but- did its job & no rash. Jacket looks untouched though my right forearm did ground. Mangled my right peg & rear brake lever, broke the right rearset and bent the right end of the handlebar. Aside from the rear brake disabled the bike ran fine so I rode home... carefully. Mild hyperextension of the left knee, slight sprain to a couple fingers on the left hand, slight sprain on right shoulder.

Really sucks to see the bike spin across the intersection on its side, makes a very sad sound... :(

On the plus side I finally got rid of the chicken strips on the right sides of the tires.. maybe I'll switch to sandpaper or something on the left... lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had already ridden through several times before and never once saw any loose stones or gravel anywhere near that corner. I have no clue how they ended up there but they did.

Yea thanks Term, if only it were true that wrecking now makes me skilled.

It has made me wiser though.

Much of my wisdom in life has come from the mistakes I've made and the stupid things I've done. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've been down a few times bud. That's just part of street riding (in my case anyways) that's just part of the thrill of riding. Lol jk

Don't push your self on the street. Slow down a bit and just be aware that everyone in a cage is going to kill you.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
First off let me just say Im, very glad you're OK and so is your bike.

People who come on here and say "I crashed for the first time today and now I don't think I'm gonna ride on the street anymore." are people who in my opinion never really seriously considered the risks when they began riding. Yes riding motorcycles may get you killed or seriously injured, it's something you have to accept every time you throw a leg over the bike.

I had my first major wreck this past summer, I knew it could happen, I've had plenty of close calls, and it shook me up big time, really affected the way I ride. But, I was back on a bike as soon as my insurance paid me to get a new one. I thought about not riding anymore for a couple minutes, but this is what I love to do, exploring my little corner of the world on a motorcycle, and I couldn't imagine my life without that, so I accepted the risks and got back on.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Amen nocoast

After 30 yrs accident free I had a bad one, 5 broke ribs, week in the hospital and a totaled bike (and no memory the accident)

but got back out there. then had a second accident and broke my thumb

Didn't stop me, I love riding too much. Repaired the bike and gear, back out there

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a day later guys.

I'm still going to ride on the street.

I was just pissed that I went down based on a set of conditions I seemed to have zero control over seeing and/or anticipating, and then 5 seconds later a cager almost wastes me after I get back up.

Also I would like to be a track junky and go to the track several times a week but work is too busy right now to warrant such a thing. :D

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
A cager didn't almost waste you. He started to pull out and stopped when he saw you. That happens like.... oh I dunno.... almost EVERY time you are out riding somewhere. I just love when people post stories about "close calls" and "cagers are out to get me".

Bikes are hard to see. I've been riding for a LONG time, and sometimes I even pull out slightly in front of a bike when I'm in my car.

They are HARD to see sometimes. You need to learn to look for parking lot exits and position yourself in your lane and in traffic so you can be seen. That means keeping a little extra room between yourself and the car in front of you, and picking the side of the lane that you'll be most visible in.

Seriously. You wrecked because you made a dumb mistake and hit gravel in the middle of a turn. Unless I've been through a turn within the last 5 minutes, I assume there's gravel there. You should, too. I'll stop, get off, and actually touch the road with my hand if I really want to take it fast. Make DAMN sure there's nothing there. Ride it several times to get a feel for how much grip is there and how it acts.

And you had to avoid a car that partially pulled out onto the road. That part isn't even newsworthy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
if i quit riding caused i wrecked and then tried to do track days only, i'd never ride... nearest track is 8 hours away. i love riding too much. F it. i'll keep riding whenever, wherever i can. i'll keep the high speeds on the track and enjoy the wildlife on the streets.

glad you're ok.... but that's not the way I'D want to break in a new suit. :lol:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
After my first street accident, I briefly thought of hanging it up for street riding.

Get back on and out as soon as you can, and it will make you realize that limiting yourself to riding a bike once or twice a month (or however many times that time/finances/life allows) as a track-only rider might not be the best option for gaining overall experience and confidence....especially as a newer rider.

I've only been on a bike for about 40 mins worth of time since my crash at BIR at the end of Aug (mainly because I just haven't bought new street bodywork for the Duc yet.....so I rode my wife's 250R a couple times and finally got back on the 848--rocked the primer grey Sharkskinz bodywork--thru the neighborhood on Sat). Going to feel embarrassingly rusty at Barber in a couple weeks....which is why it is so important to hop back on as soon as you can no matter what the circumstances of the crash was.

The track IS a much more controlled environment, but mistakes (be it our own or those of others) can still end your day just as much as it can on the street.

-Christian

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The first time I went down hard was on my 3rd year of riding!

I was riding my scooter on my way to the ATM to withdraw money. It was already dark, but I was very familiar with the road, and there was this corner, just right at the end of a long downhill straight, that I loved to take as fast as possible...

So I got on the throttle and prepared for the corner, suddenly the scooter went away and I was sliding on my belly, I could see the scooter sliding in front of me, making sparks on the pavement...

I couldn't see it, but there was lose gravel on the pavement. It was dark and the gravel was black, just like the freaking asphalt, as they had been filling potholes.

I f*cked up, just like you did.

Every time you're out there riding there is a lesson to be learnt. If you don't learn anything from this, better hang the helmet, you'll hurt yourself.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
It took over 3 1/2 months before I could walk after my crash and all I thought about was I'm riding as soon as my broken body can get on the bike.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
234 Posts
It took over 3 1/2 months before I could walk after my crash and all I thought about was I'm riding as soon as my broken body can get on the bike.
Yeah my last crash jacked up my leg for about a month. I was making arrangements for my next bike from day one. Hell, even after I got the bike it would hurt to fold my leg up onto the rearset for good while but that wasn't going to stop me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts