Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up people, ive been reading the forum for a while now great site. anyway here is my situation ive always been into dirtbikes but ny uncle is into street bikes older bikes mostly harleys, but he has an older bmw police looking thing, an older bsa, a triuhmp?, and a 70 honda 550 he let me ride. thats when i got the street bug. so here soon im taking the msf and buying a bike. i was dead set on a R6 but after doing some reading and thinking ive decided to look like a tool for a year or two ether buying my uncles honda 550 its nice only 6,000 miles or buying a kawi 250. now my question is will riding the 550 for awhile get me ready for a new 600 or should i start out on the kawi. :lol

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What a shitty first post.

just bullshittin'! Here's what I've found to be the standard SBN welcome --> :twofinger

Anyway, I started on a 600 which probably wasn't a good choice (at least it was an older one that I didn't bother me too much when I layed it over) anyway, I'd say get a kawi 500. Not that the 250 is a bad choice, but it sounds like you have enough experience to not have any problems with the 500. Opinions will vary on that topic though. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I started on a ex250. Yeah you do look really dated, since it hasn't been changed since the 80s o_O

The only thing I can see that is wrong with it. It has a very soft suspension, and seems a little gutless. 0-60 in 5.5 secs makes for a zippy little bike, though anything above that will send your little bike screaming at the top of it's lungs as it trys to pull away from traffic. Which it does still manage to do but it gets very loud doing it. You will find it screaming down at highway speeds as it revs to 9,000rpm.

It's light weight which is a very good thing. It's almost like ridding a bicycle so you don't feel the weight of the bike even as you slow down to less then 1mph. Very forgiving little machine as well. Though being 300pounds dry it gets pushed around at 65+ mph on a windy day making highway trips dreadfull.

If you don't mind missing out on the better suspension and extra hp of the 500 as well as being able to take on highways without the uneasy feeling the 250 gives you. Then by all means the 250 is for you. Of course the 500 is going to loose it's vaule more and it cost more. So I got the 250 because as a first bike I simply didn't feel the extra grand or so was worth it. Out of the two the 500 would seem like a better choice giving what I heard about it from others.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Welcome :twofinger

Maybe look into a Kawi 500?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
welcome to SBN and enjoy your stay

Now,the thing about riding on the street is the street.You have to look out for every possible thing that can and will kill you at all times.This is why most of us point a new rider in the direction of a smaller bike.It's hard enough to be aware of your surroundings without trying to controll a twitchy 100hp bike.

I think I would pick up the 550 if you can get it for a cheap price.This will give you more money to gear up if it's the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i can get the honda 550 for very cheap, but i think i might go for the ninja 250, as for 500 its to much $$ im trying to pay cash and under 2gs. i learned that lesson the hard way 99 KX125 came up short on a 30ft double, no medical insurance. broke my wrist, two fingers, brused ribs, anyway bike payment and medical bills ad up fast.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
madblazer said:
ya i can get the honda 550 for very cheap, but i think i might go for the ninja 250, as for 500 its to much $$ im trying to pay cash and under 2gs. i learned that lesson the hard way 99 KX125 came up short on a 30ft double, no medical insurance. broke my wrist, two fingers, brused ribs, anyway bike payment and medical bills ad up fast.

What a bummer,but now you know how important gear is.....ride on my friend......
:beer

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
first off hello and welcome. You might just want to get the honda 550 since it's cheap and ride that for a short period before moving up and use the cash you save on the gear that you want.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Delurking.... I just learned that word this week. Welcome to SBN.... get the 550, it will clear that 30ft double. no really, if you are willing to ride 30ft doubles, it appears you have decent riding skills (crashing on it aside) I say go for the 500, you are going to be disapointed quickly with the power of the 250.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Welcome to the Board!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts