Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ninja 650 is reaching 600 miles and I'm told this is when the first maintenance needs to be done. Quoted $160.

What do they exactly do? I was told by the guy on the phone that this service is not mandatory, but the other guy didn't say anything like that. On the forums, it's says first maintenance is important.

Well, not sure if it really needs to be done or what the point of it is for. Plz let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Ninja 650 is reaching 600 miles and I'm told this is when the first maintenance needs to be done. Quoted $160.

What do they exactly do? I was told by the guy on the phone that this service is not mandatory, but the other guy didn't say anything like that. On the forums, it's says first maintenance is important.

Well, not sure if it really needs to be done or what the point of it is for. Plz let me know.
Honestly, the most important thing is the oil and filter change. The oil change protects the motor from small metal fragments that are a result of the initial engine break-in. Sure, they look over the rest of the bike for items that may have worked loose during the first few hours of operation. All that stuff is pretty basic. If you're not comfortable with the oil change or knowing what to look the bike over for, then the $160 is money well spent.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Generally it's advised to let the dealer do the first service for warranty purposes.
Yep. I'll be bringing in the SF for the first service for this exact reason. I'll be doing everything myself after that

·
Registered
109 Posts
That and unless you have a service manual already, you may be caught off guard by special tools needed to do a complete service... Like the special socket required to torque the steering head bearings on the s1000rr.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That and unless you have a service manual already, you may be caught off guard by special tools needed to do a complete service... Like the special socket required to torque the steering head bearings on the s1000rr.
The OP lacks a lot more than "special tools".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Look I know a lot of y'all got butt hurt egos cause he didn't bother listening to the sage advice he asked for and received. But it's done. Now he's just like what some of y'all were: a clueless overly-eager newb on two wheels.

Why not either answer the questions or skip the thread?

·
Registered
971 Posts
The main thing they'll do is the oil and filter change. That is very important, because in the first few hundred miles the engine and transmission parts mate up and tend to dirty the oil with metal flake from the break in. You want to be damn sure you do this close to the recommended mileage mark, because running on that dirty, metal flake oil could damage things over time. Can you do this yourself? Yes.

The second thing they'll do is check your other fluids and make sure nothing has leaked or dropped below the recommended levels. This is brake fluid and coolant, and while it's unlikely anything has happened to these, brakes and engine cooling are not things you want to suddenly go out on you. If they find a problem now, they'll fix it. Can you do this yourself? You can check the levels, but you shouldn't make any repairs if they're off. Have them do it.

The third thing they'll do is tighten up things that have gone loose. Two things that definitely will have stretched and need adjustment are cables and chain. Just the nature of cables and chains makes them stretch out as soon as they are used. So throttle, clutch, and drive chain get adjusted. For some bikes, the manufacturer also recommends checking bolt tightness. Head bolts on the engine, engine mount bolts on the frame, maybe the swing arm bolts. They might also check the wheel play and the steering head play. Can you do all of this yourself? Yes, if you know how.

For what it's worth, I do most of the work on my bikes myself. I have always paid a dealer to do the first service. If there is a problem down the road, it makes the warranty process go much smoother; and if you just paid many thousands of dollars for your bike, why wouldn't you pay another 100 - 200 for the first service for the peace of mind that you had it done by a dealer that's been certified by the manufacturer.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Look I know a lot of y'all got butt hurt egos cause he didn't bother listening to the sage advice he asked for and received. But it's done. Now he's just like what some of y'all were: a clueless overly-eager newb on two wheels.

It has nothing to do with him listening to advise, it's his endless threads about nothing asking obvious questions over and over and over and over again rather than spending 10 seconds figuring it out. I dont think anyone here has a problem with a noob on a ninja 650, we're all just annoyed by his endless idiocy.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

My comments and others might seem harsh, but if you read all of this guys threads you'd see where we're coming from. Jet Falcon is not exactly a troll, but some sort of a Hybrid. Hard to describe really.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My comments and others might seem harsh, but if you read all of this guys threads you'd see where we're coming from. Jet Falcon is not exactly a troll, but some sort of a Hybrid. Hard to describe really.
Read some of them. Apparently he nutted up, bought a bike and doesn't know shit. Typical newb. Just feel that hammering on a newb is pointless. Not while they're completely clueless and a danger to everyone because of it...

Wait till he's mostly clueless and it's somewhat safer to cut him loose on the unsuspecting public. Or who knows? Might calm down and be an OK person before then

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My biggest problem with this guy is that he starts these threads without researching first and then never responds to the OP. For me he screams troll and until we see some proof that he actually has a bike and is a noob rider, I'll likely continue to treat him as such.

Hey, I offered to do it for a discounted price, I'm still waiting for that PM. The way the weather is this week I'm going to need that 100 bucks to pay my electrical bill from running my air conditioning. I am actually being genuine on this. I have the tools and the know how, and a 600 mile service is simple enough. All he has to do is decide whether he wants to learn, or always have his hand held.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My biggest problem with this guy is that he starts these threads without researching first and then never responds to the OP. For me he screams troll and until we see some proof that he actually has a bike and is a noob rider, I'll likely continue to treat him as such.

Hey, I offered to do it for a discounted price, I'm still waiting for that PM. The way the weather is this week I'm going to need that 100 bucks to pay my electrical bill from running my air conditioning. I am actually being genuine on this. I have the tools and the know how, and a 600 mile service is simple enough. All he has to do is decide whether he wants to learn, or always have his hand held.
I wouldn't trust someone on a forum to work on my new bike, especially when I know majority of the dedicated members hate me. I don't care about haters on this forum since I have real friends, I just ignore most of them. I didn't get a bike to feel accepted here, I got it so I can ride. There are plenty of sport bike riders on the street who will nod or wave at me, so feeling accepted is no big deal.

Why save $60 to risk having some guy to work on my $8300 bike (possibly someone who hates me here) to purposely do some shoddy job to later brag about how he stole $100 and caused $1000+ of damages to my bike? Or worse, loosen the bolts to make my bike fall apart while I was riding? If you were serious, you would have at least posted pics of your workshop to prove you actually know how to fix bikes.

But whatever, I got it taken care of already for $162 from a reputable shop. Closer to my house and they have a nice lounge.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts