Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st let me start by saying that canyon riding sux compared to the track!! Ok now on to business. The weather was awesome, temperature was about 77 degrees with clear skies. I was nervous cause this was my 1st track event, I ride a 2005 Ninja 636. Sat through the “C” group meeting that told us a little about the track, the flags, and what to expect. I watched the A & B group riders do their sessions, then it was my turn. The 1st two laps were led by the Ti2TT track monitors to get us familiar with the track (track configuration we ran is attached). I was surprised by how much familiarization I was able to gather & retain about the track. After the second lap the guides gave us the thumbs up to go at our pace. I was the 3rd rider in my group. I was so comfortable after the first two laps that I passed the rider in front of me in turn 1 (sunrise). Turn 2 (off ramp) is a slow right hander. I passed the next rider going into turn 3, after that I had clear skies in front of me. Turn 3 & 4 (cotton corners) were giving me problems all day, it was very difficult for me to judge entry speed and line. Grapevine & Club Corner were pretty fast corners so I gave it all I had. The Bus Stop corner would mess with a little until I figured out the best line. Truck Stop & Riverside is a high speed sweeper that was a lot of fun. Lost Hill was a really nice blind down grade corner but you were actually able to carry a lot of speed through it. The toughest line to judge was the one going into Sweeper, it’s a double apex (or triple depending on you line) that led straight up into the Esses. If you didn’t have the right line in that corner you would screw up your entry into the Esses. The last turn before heading back past the pit area was Sunset, a 90 degree left hander. After the 2nd session one of the monitors came to me and asked if I wanted to move up to B group (I began to lap people in the C group). That was a BIG confidence booster for me. The B group had about 6 really fast guys. I was lapped by them but I also was lapping people so I guess I didn’t do too bad. Oh yeah....I was able to drag knee in almost every right hand corner. Still need to work on the left . Overall I REALLY enjoyed myself and learned a lot about my bike and riding ability, I will post pics when I get them. My bike was setup as follows:

Tires:
I ran Metzeler Sportec M1’s (same tires I use for everyday street riding). These tires are the SH1T!!!!. They gripped ALL DAY and did not break even once. I have TOTAL confidence in my tires. Having that much confidence was nice because now I didn’t have to worry about whether or not they would hold. That freed up a lot of space in my brain to concentrate on stuff like entry speed, lines, and body positioning.

Suspension:
My bike was setup with stock suspension & settings. I thought those settings were just fine until I had the guy from Catalyst Reaction look at my settings. Under hard braking the front would just dip way down and the bike would become a little unstable, making corner entry a little questionable for me. I also found out why it was so difficult for me to maintain a TIGHT line. Anyway he made the changes and I went out for my next session with the new settings. The bike felt SO MUCH better. Not only was I able to maintain a tight line in the corners, but they were tighter than before, which enabled me to carry more speed in & out of them. The instability under hard braking was totally gone and I felt more comfortable with my corner entry. The braking improved so much that I even began to do a little late braking into the corners. The moral of the story: HAVE YOUR SUSPENSION TUNED!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those are some awesome pics. I actually just did my 1st track day this weekend at Jennings GP, also on a 2005 zx-6r. What kinda of exhaust are you running? It looks good!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Very nice pics. Always wanted to ride Buttonwillow and Laguna.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SurfNSB said:
Those are some awesome pics. I actually just did my 1st track day this weekend at Jennings GP, also on a 2005 zx-6r. What kinda of exhaust are you running? It looks good!
its a yoshimura rs5

·
Registered
926 Posts
buttonwillow is a great track...and sounds like you had a blast :banana

if you're tripple apexing that back sweeper, you're wasting your time. that turn and lost hill are amazingly fun

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darkstar said:
buttonwillow is a great track...and sounds like you had a blast :banana

if you're tripple apexing that back sweeper, you're wasting your time. that turn and lost hill are amazingly fun
i was double apexing the sweeper. it was hard to see the entry point into the chicanes while leaned over. going into the turn i was looking for the chicane entry point, once i found it i would look up into the chicanes coming out of the sweeper. yeah those two corners are really fun, and you're actually able to carry lots of speed through both of them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
great pics and post....

I also rode Buttonwillow for my first track day. I was happy with how I did, but sounds like you did really well. Have you been riding for a long time?

I agree with your comment about Cotton Corners. I struggled with them most of day and was just starting to figure them out near the end. One of the instructors point out a great line you can take exiting the 2nd cotton corner...if you position yourself right you can combine the final of the 3 cotton corneres with Grapvine and turn it into a nice long sweeper. The Bus Stop screwed me up all day as did the Sweeper before the Esses. Looking forward to going back there in July...but first I have Fontana this weekend!

And nice bike...my girlfriend rides a red/orange '05 636.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
redcbrla said:
great pics and post....

I also rode Buttonwillow for my first track day. I was happy with how I did, but sounds like you did really well. Have you been riding for a long time?

I agree with your comment about Cotton Corners. I struggled with them most of day and was just starting to figure them out near the end. One of the instructors point out a great line you can take exiting the 2nd cotton corner...if you position yourself right you can combine the final of the 3 cotton corneres with Grapvine and turn it into a nice long sweeper. The Bus Stop screwed me up all day as did the Sweeper before the Esses. Looking forward to going back there in July...but first I have Fontana this weekend!

And nice bike...my girlfriend rides a red/orange '05 636.
i've been riding sport bikes for 12yrs but never got on a track. all of my track-style riding was done in the canyons. after that one trackday i dont even want to ride street anymore :). i'm looking at doing streets of willow on june 24th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts