Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what should I say about this class. Instuctors were really cool. ALways craking jokes. 12 people were there. We got handed a bunch of legal type stuff to sign and due to my age my dad had to sign a waiver. I was the youngest one there, which was fine. We then got these info sheets we had to fill out about one other person in the room so me and this chick Katie swapped. She had an R6 too which is cool. So we at first introduce each other and after awhile this one chick is introduced to have been riding a month and owning a 2005 Limited Edition Hayabusa. She has dropped it 12 times and now wants to learn to handle it.

So we did 4 hours of book stuff, crazy boring. Watched some corney videos about lever placement and whatnot. Tomm we are going to be out there at 7:45 am untill 6 p.m. So...yea, I guess I will update after that time.

If you have never ridden a bike before, I reccomend this class(from what I have done) and if you have been riding awhile, it will feela little slow. I will admit I have learned some things to make me better and hopefully tomm will enhance that.
:cheers

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, its a great class, I had never ridden a bike before, and I feel safe and wanting to get a ninja 250 to start on. The instructors are cool, small class sizes are great. Just have fun.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That's cool Ca$h that you are taking the class even after all the miles you have ridden.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I wish I would have taken the course when I first started riding. It made me realize some of my bad habits that I picked up while riding. Mainly with covering levers.

Awesome to see you out there taking it!

·
Throat Puncher!
471 Posts
I plan on taking my class some time towards the end of the year. It's 2 bills here in vegas. I think that I will be ready by then. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Honda 600 CBR year 2000 for about 2g's from L.A. The back tire is missing and the owner lost the ignition key. I don't have all the details, but it does sound stolen. As long as he has the pink slip, and gives me the VIN I'll run it and check the history. I really hope this works out though, then I can spend all the other cash I planned on spending on the bike.......on awesome GEAR!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man this sure fell back alot. But I will update anyway.

Day two completed.

It was hot as hell, 95 degrees, we did 8 excersises out on the "range" then went in and did book work for about an hour. We had a 1 hour lunch break. The excersises were like, pretend your in traffic, and use the clutch to flow along at extremly low speeds. We had to "power walk" our bikes by being in the friction zone and kind of running. All in all, it was hot, then it rained, but the excersises were ok. Weaving was really fun but it was also kind of boring. Just my take on it.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Ill be taking the class before summers end. they do the class at the college I work at, they told me they take walk ons, so Ill be set.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm they take walkon's but if is an official MSF class, be there 10 minutes befor they open. Maximum of 12 students at a time. Walk on is first come, first served. So just make sure to be there early.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last update cause it over. we did 8 more excerises, curves, obstacles, breakin in curbves, things like that. hot as heck today, then we did our test which was only 3 parts. Stopping, curve, and swerving/weaving. Got a 100. Went inside, finished up the previous lesson, took the test, and i got a 98, being careless. SO, two weeks from now that brown envelope should be in the mail. Oh and those little 125's(hondas) are fun as hell. I kept scrapping the pegs though, but still a blast

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
Congrats!

But you still haven't answered the obvious question yet!

Is Katie hot and did you get her number? :twofinger

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shes older(24) and yea I got her number, so maybe we will go riding one of these days. Oh and she's a looker :)

Oh and Thanks all. :cheers

Good class, Good teachers, just waaaaay to hot.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Rascus said:
I wish I would have taken the course when I first started riding. It made me realize some of my bad habits that I picked up while riding. Mainly with covering levers.
Same here, except the bad habit I was cured of was looking down when turning corners.

Question about covering levers: My instructors insisted that it's ok to cover the clutch but not the brake - ever, under any circumstances. :confused: But I always cover the front brake when I'm feeling threatened, for lack of a better word. (In heavy traffic or if I think someone might do something stupid, for example) I keep one or two fingers & my thumb around the throttle and the rest over the brake lever.

Their explanation on why you shouldn't was that in a panic situation you automatically squeeze your hands into a fist. So if you cover the brakes the first thing you do when startled or you panic is grab the brake unintentionally. Not real sure if I buy that.

What's everyone's opinion on this? Is it standard practice to teach not covering the fr brake?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My instructor said in every situtation other than congested traffic, cover the clutch. he said in traffic, you cover the front brake due to careless drivers not seeing you and making erratic moves. But in everyday riding, the clutch should be covered so you just cut power to the wheel and not grab too much brake

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
acalliste said:
Same here, except the bad habit I was cured of was looking down when turning corners.

Question about covering levers: My instructors insisted that it's ok to cover the clutch but not the brake - ever, under any circumstances. :confused: But I always cover the front brake when I'm feeling threatened, for lack of a better word. (In heavy traffic or if I think someone might do something stupid, for example) I keep one or two fingers & my thumb around the throttle and the rest over the brake lever.

Their explanation on why you shouldn't was that in a panic situation you automatically squeeze your hands into a fist. So if you cover the brakes the first thing you do when startled or you panic is grab the brake unintentionally. Not real sure if I buy that.

What's everyone's opinion on this? Is it standard practice to teach not covering the fr brake?
as a new rider, covering the ft brake, can be more dangerous then not. new riders have a tendency to GRAB the brake,and tuck the ft end up........in my classes I prefer you didn't cover the brake. and YES, do cover the clutch.

now on the street, as you become a better rider, you;ll want to cover the ft inheavy traffic. that millasecond from throttle to brake could save your hide.

remember to use all 4 fingers when applying the brakes.

good going cash, did you learn anything?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
RACER X said:
as a new rider, covering the ft brake, can be more dangerous then not. new riders have a tendency to GRAB the brake,and tuck the ft end up........in my classes I prefer you didn't cover the brake. and YES, do cover the clutch.
Well, I'm not a new rider and the instructors knew that. Maybe they just didn't want me to set a bad example for the other students... but it was hard to stop doing what I've been doing for years. I do see what you mean, since I dropped my bike twice in the first year of riding because of grabbing the fr brake when I shouldn't have. Although it wasn't from covering it while riding in traffic. It was in my driveway once, on the road the second time, but barely moving at all, and I just grabbed it too hard, or too quickly.

Also, in the msf class I was in, one guy who had some riding experience dropped his bike during the evaluation while trying to do the quick stop. Poor guy! I felt so bad for him.:(

RACER X said:
now on the street, as you become a better rider, you;ll want to cover the ft inheavy traffic. that millasecond from throttle to brake could save your hide.
Exactly why/when I cover the fr brake.

I wonder why is there a discrepency between what you are saying and what I was told? I agree with you 100%. But they wouldn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts