Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after selling my 1998 fzr600 6 months ago, I've decided to get another bike. My original plan was to save up money and buy a newer (2005-2008) zx6r. But, I managed to stumble across a 1999 zx7r for $1000.

The only thing I know that the bike needs is work on the fairings. I'm unsure of the miles, but my friend who is a mechanic is picking up the bike on Saturday. He offered to let me have it for $1000 (what he's paying for it) or hes going to repair the fairings and sell it for more.

I told myself that I was going to save money over the course of the summer and buy something new, but is this deal too good to pass up?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What is your goal?

If your goal is a cheap bike, this is a good opportunity.

If your goal is a nice bike, then keep looking. You'd spend a fair amount making that think look nice, and likely even more making it ride well again. It's a 90's Kawasaki. It will be heavy, and handle somewhat like a tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The old " I will give it to you for what I payed or fix it myself and sell it for more" from my experience that it self is a red flag, my guess is there are more problems with that bike then the fairings

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would typically agree with that line of thinking, but I've been friends with this guy for years and he knows how badly I want to get another bike; I don't think he'd try to scam me.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Those old 7's still look great today! If it's mechanically sound, I'd keep it and invest a few hundred $$ in upgrades.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
As a mechanic, i do not like mixing money and friendship.

What i would do in this situation is offer to go with you when you check the bike out, then i would give it a once over for you, tell you any issues i saw, and try and help you negotiate price.

if you decided you didn't want the bike, then i would buy it from the guy.

I don't like doing the "i'll sell it to you for what i payed for it, because you are a friend" stuff.

It is too easy for people's feelings to get involved.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good bike,goes well,handles well and reasonably comfy compared to a lot of stuff today.Not everyone needs to pose on the latest RR.If it's in decent condition for the bucks,go for it.

Just reread and saw the price....I'd be all over that. :)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The biggest issue will be sourcing parts I'd go hit up a few of the aftermarket fairing suppliers and race glass suppliers and see if they actually stock parts for a 1997 ZX7R. Yes it will be a bit heavy although on a road bike thats no always a bad thing and if you want to watch the blood drain from someone who owns a really light 600 super sport get them to actually weigh it the marketing numbers rarely match reality. It will also have one of the best front ends fitted to a bike ever, the rear shocks are a bit cheap and nasty the motor will have a big fat torque curve.

Things I'd be wary of any frame damage at all/is the frame straight if its not don't both with it the other thing to see is if this bike has a set of FCR's which was a common mod if it does the purchase price is worth that alone. Although it looks as if the owner was more distracted by shiny things.

I guess the other issue is can you afford to throw a $1000 away if you buy it and it turns out the motor is completely beyond repair you can only part it out and hope you get some of your money back.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looks like the perfect candidate for a streetfighter!

Since I still own my '96 7R, I thought I'd give my opinion. If you intentions are to replace the plastics, you are probably in for a surprise. As others have mentioned, sourcing non-trashed plastics is not going to be easy. For being a superbike, these were surprisingly not very popular as street bikes, hence there weren't many aftermarket options (certainly nowhere near the amount for the GSX-R750 of the same era). I'd have to go dig through my archives, but I really only recall maybe one or two places that sold bodywork, and that was years ago by now. The one advantage here is that other than color, the bike didn't change during it's entire life from 96-03 so you've got 8 years of production out there to pick from, and many of the parts interchange from the earlier 93-95 M's and earlier models.

Otherwise, it's a 90's-era superbike that is built like a brick shit house - i.e. a bike that can actually tip over without cracking its frame, unlike most hyper-light-weight bikes of today. These things take a licking and keep on ticking, including the engines, which are pretty bulletproof. Carburetion can be tricky though, so expect to spend some time fiddling to getting that sorted.

It's going to be heavy, yes, but they are/were regarded as having a great frontend with good feedback and can be hustled around quite well. Also as mentioned, their rear shocks sucked, so expect that to be shite after 15 years. Shocks from newer ZX-12's can be made to fit, offering more adjustability, but those aren't much better honestly. Their 6-pot tokico's also blow by today's standards - most recommend replacing with 4-pot nissins from the suzuki bandit 1200's or similar (lots of choices as many bikes use the same) which are direct swaps.

For $1000 I'd say it's worth it if it still runs and you're not looking to make it look factory-fresh. If it were me, I'd tear off all the plastic anyway and streetfighter it.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Not sure why you guys are saying replacement plastics are hard to find? All I did was go to eBay and type in ZX 7 and at least 5 different sets of complete aftermarket plastics came up. And for OEM, Ronayers.com had complete sets as well.

So, keep the bike and get some sweet aftermarket (or OEM) plastics and make that classic purty again :)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
If it was the older style, with the giant tubes through the front of the tank, I'd be all over that shit, those were badass mofos.

This style I like less.

I like it even less in red.

·
Registered
475 Posts
you're right, seems the availability of bodywork is better than I thought - certainly better than it was 'back in the day', even without the flood of parts from china.

All the more reason to buy that beyotch and put another 7 back on the road!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Personally,I like that style,I always thought the old ones with the dryer vent tubes looked like hell-and not a good riding position-for me anyway.I like these years far better.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Great find! I love ZX7's, that was my first sport bike, bought her new in 2001, she was bright yellow and a blast to ride. You can see the pics of all the things I did to that poor bike on my blog. Yes she is heavy, I did a few track days on her and once she was leaned over....she was planted and stable. If you go to the Kawi forum and look under the ZX7 pages you will see tons of information; from under seat Pipes by Wolf, levers, rear sets, fairing and everything. The colours are great too, of course Kawi green, yellow/black, green/white, green purple white, gray and my favourite orange! Lots of after market stuff, I was always modding mine, best thing I did was install a jet kit, and change the gearing (-1 front +2 rear). Once I retire next year I will rebuild my fleet and a ZX7 will be back on the roster, it is just a really good bike all around and unique.

My Blog http://www.herown2wheels.com[/urlhttp://www.herown2wheels.com[/url

1 - 15 of 15 Posts