Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a KAW 1999 ZX-6r from a friend and even though he mentioned it before i didnt realize the absence of a gas guage would be somewhat inconvenient?
Anyhow, can any of you experienced riders tell give some tips on knowing how much gas i have left w/o running out?

I rode out a full tank for approx 160 miles, ==> 1 gallon = 40 miles.

Is this generally what other 600 CC kaw bikes are getting to the gallon or am i alone in outer space?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know about the average mileage on a 1999 600ss, but you do know you have a "primary" and "reserve" fuel petcock right? Basically, run it in "PRI, PRIME, or PRIMARY" or whatever it might say until it runs out, then switch to reserve and you'll have about 30 miles to get to a gas station. Practice it a few times, but you should be able to reach down (left hand) and switch the petcock from prime to reserve without interrupting any thing. Very few sportbikes will have a gas guage, you just get an idea of how many miles you can go before you need to flip to reserve.

Nick

P.S> I'm pretty sure 40mpg is about right for a 600.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just bought mine and 150-160 miles is about right. When it starts idling funny or losing power, you know to switch to reserve right away. I generally try to get some gas before I even get to the reserve.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
what they said... my '00 has a 3.8gal main & a 1.1gal reserve... i usually let the trip meter get up to around 140/150 before i fill up again

i've also heard it's actually a good idea to let it go into the reserve every once in a while to keep that gas fresh. I did just that last weekend. Hit the reserve & went another 30 miles. When i did finally fill it up i only had about 1/2 a gallon left in the thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts