Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello...
I'm looking for someone with Bandit experience. I'm on my second fixer-upper Bandit 1200 - first was a 2001 and this one is a 1999.
It's a bit rough, but I can handle it and it will make a decent fun ride. I'm working through mechanical and electrical details. I have service manuals, microfiches and parts are available as you all probably know - pretty much what I need. Except someone to bounce questions off of. I see some discrepancies between the manual and the actual bike.
Anyone here that can help? I'll post the specifics if someone can.

Thanks
Jaime

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sent you a message, would love to help. We can post here for other viewers that may experience the same problems. I have restored 2 now and loving the 07 1250sa, I am working cosmetics now on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1999 1200 SX
First - All the manual and docs I find references a TPS (Throttle Pos. Sensor) from '97 on. My bike has the connection, but does not have the TPS - its not missing from the cabs, it just does not have it or any way to mount it. See 'Carbs pic 1'. The only ID on the carb is 27E5 1 K8Z1.
Possibility - someone replaced the carbs with an older model, but everything about the carbs else matches up.
If this is the case, what is the likely issue I may have if the ICU does not sense the TPS? I don't believe this bike has electronic advance, or does it. So what would the TPS's function be otherwise, and what if its missing?
Second - There are two wires (Red/BLK and Green/Blue) that are cut at the L side wiring harness - See 'Wiring pic 1'. These come directly from the ICU (Ref A on wiring diag attached). In the wiring diagrams it shows these going to neutral switch (Ref B on wiring diag). However, the neutral switch has only 1 blue wire coming out of it from the engine and this 'blue' neutral switch wire goes to diode (Ref C on wiring diag).
The diode itself has three wires (Blue/Blk, Green/Blue) - the blue goes to the N switch, the Blue black to the N light, and the green to the side stand relay. (see Wiring pic
The N light is working - so the switch is working.
There's only one wire coming out of the neutral switch on the engine - the blue one and its connected to the diode -
See 'Wiring pic 2'.
The side-stand switch system is working.
Q - What are the 2 cut wires for if everything is connected and working?
Any insights to this appreciated.
Thanks....
sunnyorlando

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sent you a message, would love to help. We can post here for other viewers that may experience the same problems. I have restored 2 now and loving the 07 1250sa, I am working cosmetics now on.
My restored '01 attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While getting things running, the bike starts fine, a bit hard when cold, but otherwise OK.
What I am noticing is some 'puff' while on idle come out at carbs 1 & 3. Im not sure its quite a back fire because no detonation sound, more like 'puff, puff' from time to time. Im looking for a vacuum leak perhaps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still busy. Begun the Outlaw today. Didn't complete a lot. It was one of the days at work. Anyone has a decent utilized Scoundrel 1200 or GSXR 1100 motor they need to sell modestly? haha.
Kodi nox

·
Registered
10 Posts
While getting things running, the bike starts fine, a bit hard when cold, but otherwise OK.
What I am noticing is some 'puff' while on idle come out at carbs 1 & 3. Im not sure its quite a back fire because no detonation sound, more like 'puff, puff' from time to time. Im looking for a vacuum leak perhaps?
How's your diagnostic so far? My buddy is looking to get this 1999 Bandit 1200 as the next project after we finished installing the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline onto the truck. The current owner of the bike mentioned it was backfiring before it was sat for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well in following others advice, I've been able to fix the fuel starvation at high RPMs under load by removing the air filter pods I had isnstalled (looked nice but not working well!), and re-installed the OEM airbox and a std air filter. That took care of it all. Bike runs smooth all the way up to where I've taken it - 8k+ through 3rd & 4th without a hiccup. I dont think I'll got there in 5th.
I also figured out that I had missed the fact (was not paying attention to) that this bike has aftermarket headers, so that makes it a full exhaust system. The exhaust is a D&D, but I cannot tell what brand the header is. The bike sounds awesome and it is VERY quick!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts