Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright so I originally took my bike to the shop to have my CCT replaced on my 1998 Honda CBR 900rr because its making that infamous noise at and between 3k-4k rpms. The Shop wants to charge me $198 just for the parts! now I did some research and found the APE manual CCT on ebay for like $50 and the cam chain on amazon for like another $50 which is way cheaper then the shop had estimated. So I'm sure some where out there on the interwebs there's probably a nice DETAILED walk through on the process hopefully even a video which would be even more awesome. Any ways how hard is it to do? what tools would I need? would this be a job a noob could to do? I'm sure this subject has been coverd before so if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction that would be awesome. please don't say google cuz whats gonna happen is I'm gonna search it on google and run into a million forums with people posting this question and some one suggestion they use google lol.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Did you diagnose the need yourself?

200 bucks is nothing. Can you afford to screw up?

You don't need the new cam chain, just the tensioner. I'm not a fan of manual tensioners just for this reason. Installing a new stock one is much easier.

Service manual and 70 bucks in parts. The tensioner and gasket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you diagnose the need yourself?

200 bucks is nothing. Can you afford to screw up?

You don't need the new cam chain, just the tensioner. I'm not a fan of manual tensioners just for this reason. Installing a new stock one is much easier.

Service manual and 70 bucks in parts. The tensioner and gasket.
I suppose your right 200 bucks isn't really much when it comes to peace of mind and its way to damn hot outside for me to be doing any type of work that I can afford to pay someone else to do lol.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Sweet. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts