Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First let me say that I've been riding since I was 16 and I'm now 44. I now own a 1996 YZF 600R and really like it. When I was younder I was 165lbs but at 33 my "permanent" :lao weight rose to and is now holding at 190.

My question is not so much a "racing" question as it is a "capability" question.

What is the 1996 YZR capable of....

1/4 mile ?
Is it as fast as a Corvette? Which ones? 2004/2005/ZO6 ?

I'm just curious about what this machine is capable of.

Thanks

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
It can and will scare the shit out of you from time to time. I have ran at the local runway against all kinds of cars and not one has beat me yet. Not saying it is not going to happen butnot yet. I don't know the 1/4 mile time but it is just slightly off the newer 600's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems really fast once the RPMS build to around 7000+ but before that it gives the impression there's not much there. My last (fast?) bike was an RD350 and it would probably leave the 600 for the first 100ft but the YZF would catch it quickly after that.

I was just really curious if this bike could run with a newer Vette and some of the other performance cars.

I've had the bike 3 days now and every time I ride it I like it more. It is everything I wanted in a sportbike.

One thing....I'm wondering about my clutch. It never slips at all but if I'm stopped and rev it too high then start releasing the clutch it grabs so hard that it feels like the bike will stall. I have to pull the clutch back in and let the rpms drop before I try to go. Is that normal?

Thanks

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
As for the slow start change the rear sprocket to 49 tooth that will give you the low end and you will have power the whole way through. I am not sure about the clutch though. Mine will stand up if I give it to much gas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
dennisred69 said:
As for the slow start change the rear sprocket to 49 tooth that will give you the low end and you will have power the whole way through. I am not sure about the clutch though. Mine will stand up if I give it to much gas.

what are the stock front and rear sprocket sizes?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Scorcher2005 said:
what are the stock front and rear sprocket sizes?
15 front
47 rear

I have a 13 front 49 rear set up. The front is a little over kill I think but good for hitting the drags.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Scorcher2005 said:
where did you get your sprockets from?
I was afraid you were going to ask that. I had to look for my recepts. Dennis Kirk They did not come as a set but they are both made for this model. I belive they were sunstar or sunpro what ever they are called. :beer Let me get a link right to them.

This is for the 49 tooth
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=8005149S&store=Main&productId=p80051&catId=&leafCatId=

This is for the 13 tooth
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=8006813&store=Main&productId=p80068&catId=&leafCatId=

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
No I stayed with the 530 chain. I strech chains as it is. If I go to a smaller chain I will tear them apart.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Unless you are racing there is no need to go to a 520 chain. I would just keep the 530 it's heaver but they last longer. Always change both front and rear sprockets along with the chain at the same time or it will wear out the chain or sprockets way faster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
check out www.yzf600r.com. tons of good info on chain/sprocket combo's there. You may want to be careful with a 13 tooth front, you may start rubbing into the swingarm. 14/49 combo should be enough especially if you're still running stock sizes.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Jerm said:
check out www.yzf600r.com. tons of good info on chain/sprocket combo's there. You may want to be careful with a 13 tooth front, you may start rubbing into the swingarm. 14/49 combo should be enough especially if you're still running stock sizes.
I have that combo. The front is just high enough to clear the swing arm. But it is good advice none the less. I never thought about that before but I just checked to make sure. :lao

1 - 14 of 14 Posts