Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer (2004) i bought what turned out to be a very tired 95' Suzuki Katana. I rode the sh&* out of this bike in the 4 months of riding time i had. When i went to bring it out of the the storage shed this summer (2005) i couldnt get it started so i brought it in for what i figured was going to be a simple tune up. Well a quote of $1600 later to get the bike back up and running (complete motor rebuild) turned me off.

I began looking for a new bike and i always liked the Kawasaki ZX-6r, i found a 2003 at my local dealership and thanks to the lovely Kawasaki credit card i drove it home the next day.

Anyways i am more or less a complete noob when it comes to sportbikes in general. I dont attempt wheelies and have only smoked the rear tire a couple times. I do not feel like i am riding this bike to its full potential. Barely ever break 10k in rpms, and dont have many decent roads to push the bike on (michigan=pothole repair's everywhere")

Did I upgrade to quickly, should i have just bought a used 2k bike or was buying a bike that im not skilled enough to ride correctly not a very big deal?

·
Registered
491 Posts
No you didn't upgrade to quickly. If you're happy w/the bike then you're in great shape. Have fun with it.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Slappy77 said:
Last summer (2004) i bought what turned out to be a very tired 95' Suzuki Katana. I rode the sh&* out of this bike in the 4 months of riding time i had. When i went to bring it out of the the storage shed this summer (2005) i couldnt get it started so i brought it in for what i figured was going to be a simple tune up. Well a quote of $1600 later to get the bike back up and running (complete motor rebuild) turned me off.

I began looking for a new bike and i always liked the Kawasaki ZX-6r, i found a 2003 at my local dealership and thanks to the lovely Kawasaki credit card i drove it home the next day.

Anyways i am more or less a complete noob when it comes to sportbikes in general. I dont attempt wheelies and have only smoked the rear tire a couple times. I do not feel like i am riding this bike to its full potential. Barely ever break 10k in rpms, and dont have many decent roads to push the bike on (michigan=pothole repair's everywhere")

Did I upgrade to quickly, should i have just bought a used 2k bike or was buying a bike that im not skilled enough to ride correctly not a very big deal?
How does parking a bike for 4 months break it and result in a needed rebuild? wierd. But yeah, ZX6 a good bike, but I wouldn't park it in the shed, cause then your going to need a new engine 4 months later.. :lao

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
don't worry about doing stunts, just ride how you feel comfortable and you should be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i couldn't get it to turn over in the spring.....didn't add Stabil or any other gas treatment, my guess was that the carbs were gummed up pretty bad also.

Im happy with the bike, don't plan on stunting at all. Just dont really think im riding the bike to it's potential.

·
Registered
53 Posts
still doesn't explain why it'd need a motor rebuild. those kat's are built pretty tough. same engine as the OC gix's and those are still running strong today.

don't worry about the bike's potential. just ride it but be sure not to be too aggressive on it and listen to the bike. try to manhandle a 636 and it WILL spit you off.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Kat's are nearly indestructible... Parking it for 4 months wouldn't do any damage to the motor. Carbs I can certainly understand, but removing them and soaking them in parts cleaner overnight probably would've fixed that. At the MOST tear-down and thorough cleaning would've done the trick. I think you paid $1600 for the mechanic to get a little experience...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Slappy77 said:
Im happy with the bike, don't plan on stunting at all. Just dont really think im riding the bike to it's potential.

As long as your happy with it and you can handle the bike, you obviously have at least a season of riding under your belt, just take it easy and don't over ride yourself. Have fun and stay safe, you'll love the ZX the more you ride it! I still miss both of mine, those are great starter SS bikes. Don't worry about wheelies or any of that, stunts don't make you a better motorcycle rider, SQUID's think they do!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Slappy77 said:
What mstingray said - don't worry about riding the bike to it's potential - ride it to your ability.

I don't think anybody really rides any modern sportbike to it's full potential unless they take it to a track. At least they shouldn't be! Bikes today are capable of way more performance than is prudent on public roads.

...hope I don't get in trouble taking about prudence on this site! :spank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TemtnF8 said:
Kat's are nearly indestructible... Parking it for 4 months wouldn't do any damage to the motor. Carbs I can certainly understand, but removing them and soaking them in parts cleaner overnight probably would've fixed that. At the MOST tear-down and thorough cleaning would've done the trick. I think you paid $1600 for the mechanic to get a little experience...

I actually didn't authorize the woek to be done, $1600 was the quote to get her back in good shape.

·
Registered
488 Posts
that is a great bike, my buddy has one.. As you ride more, you'll feel more comfy pushing it. Just take it easy and enjoy it. Don't push too hard too soon tryin to be bad ass and you should be set.. :) Congrats on the ZX6R, which color did you get? Silver?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wait, so what did you do with the Kat? Is it still sitting in the shed not starting? I'll come haul it away for you :dblthumb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
njssli22 said:
that is a great bike, my buddy has one.. As you ride more, you'll feel more comfy pushing it. Just take it easy and enjoy it. Don't push too hard too soon tryin to be bad ass and you should be set.. :) Congrats on the ZX6R, which color did you get? Silver?

Thanks i love the bike, i got the candy lightning blue, its very sharp and since i live in a fairly small town (pop: 7,000) i shouldn't have to worry about someone else riding the same bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
H2Omax1 said:
Wait, so what did you do with the Kat? Is it still sitting in the shed not starting? I'll come haul it away for you :dblthumb

Well right now i have the fairings, headlight, windshield, and mirrors off the bike. I did the small prep work for the mechanic before i hauled it into the shop.
Im thinking about just parting it out or selling as is, not sure yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts