Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Just thought I would post a thread in regard to an issue I encountered just before the 2009 winter here in New York, and just as I was tucking my baby ( 1994 RF900R ) into bed for the winter.

Ok heres what happened...

I started my RF900 up to let it idle and warm up for a while, was going to fill the tank with fresh gas and all that to winterize it. And maybe get ONE LAST quick ride in before winter blew in !

While idling, it was running just fine, and then all of a sudden it just bogged down and stalled out, as if it ran out of gas.

It still had gas in the tank, about a gallon or so...however, I thought I would slap in another 5 gallons of some fresh from the pump super, just to sorta troubleshoot the issue and be sure it had plenty of gas.

I put in the 5 gallons, and tried to start her up again, NO LUCK ! it just sat there turning over...and over....and over, until ( you guessed it ) the battery died..lol

So, I then broke out the jumper cabled, hooker her up to my car, and tried starting her again, still nothing !! :eek:

I then yanked all the spark plugs and gave em a good cleaning, dripped a little gas down in each of the cylinders just for good measure, reinstalled the plugs...plug wires....and attempted to start it again....NOTHING yet again !!

It just sat there turning, over, and not even a small pop as if it wanted to start...

I DID verify that I DO have spark, and as I said....yes to the gas ! ( At least in the TANK anyway ).

Which only leaves two other possible issues that I can think of...

1. Carburetor issues not allowing gas into the cylinders...
or
2. Compression issues, such as maybe a blown piston ring (compression).

I do not own a compression tester anymore, ( used to but lost it over the years ), but I plan to get ahold of one just to rule out that as a possibility.

As far as the carburetor is concerned, I just had it yanked off and cleaned at a Suzuki dealership last summer due to getting bad gas at a Mobile gas station, the station was delivered a bad ethanol mixed batch of gas from the distributor and it has something like 60% ethanol in the batch. Needless to say, when I filled the tank with it, immediately I noticed a SERIOUS degradation in performance of the bike....it went from sport bike...to lawnmower....and a seriously gimped out lawnmower at that !

Mobil corporation paid for the repairs, which cost around $400 when all was said and done....they sent me a check for $1200, lmao....a nice $800 for my troubles !

Anyway, as I said, had the carbs yanked and cleaned, an it ran fine after that, until as I said...it stalled out.

I DO have inline fuel filters I added myself to ensure nothing gets to the carbs from the tank....

So I dunno, what do you guys think?? It's getting close to springtime, and my baby is sitting in the garage, and the last I knew in December it was not running. And I would like to start looking into the issue and getting her purring once again.

ANY and ALL feedback is GREATLY appreciated. :feedback

Eagerly await your replies guys !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rf900

Hey GnBanditoCI5
I have the RF900R also, and I feel for you brother. To me it sounds like a gas problem. Something still mey have happened with the carbs or filters. It may be a little work but I'm sure you'll find your problem soon.Spring will be here before you know it. I had my 900 out 2 weeks ago, and my 1500 Goldwing 2 days ago. Hope you find the problem so you can ride when you want to
Peace !

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
anything rubber that contacted the ethanol should be suspect. it could have deteriorated the inside of the fuel lines, so bits of rubber could have made it to the carbs (or just blocked the filter). also if there is a vacuum petcock, check that too.

10% blend has ruined every o-ring in my fuel system and this spring i will be asking ducati for a new tank as mine is deforming (it's plastic).

·
Registered
10 Posts
This one sounds almost like CDI/timing.

Try to find someone with a FIX-R....ahemm...i mean :gsxr 750 of the same year. borrow their CDI box and see if this fixes your issue. have a good mechanic check the valve clearances if you have not done so in more than 2-4 seasons(depending on the mileage you've put on it). this will greatly affect compression.

How strong is the spark? get some steel pipe to put down the hole to the plug hole, do not try to verify spark on any magnesium, and there's a lot on the top end. MAG has a higher resistance, and thusly will affect spark when checking. try another spark plug you may have for a snowmobile or atv a standard ngk with the same heat range BR(x)ES.

are the wires hooked up correctly?

Remember this is an "interference motor" any valvetrain parts being out of whack will cause catastrophic damage to valves, cams, pistons, and so on. minor damage can bring about the symptoms described.

when servicing your carbs keep a lil PB B'laster around for o-rings that look like they are coming up on replacing, soak them for about 5 mins TOPS and they will come back to life. soak too long and they will swell up too much and you can guess what happens then...

for vacuum hoses use standard silicone spray lube and give a light coat and wipe. this will help the lines and hoses(especially rubber) from dry rotting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've got the same problem, at first i thought it may of been a kink in the fuel pipe line but there wasnt. My fuel pump became very warm and then made a noise (thought it was my fan). I've ordered a new fuel pump, im going to get that fitted on next week and fingers crossed it''ll start first thing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys!

Just thought I would post a thread in regard to an issue I encountered just before the 2009 winter here in New York, and just as I was tucking my baby ( 1994 RF900R ) into bed for the winter.

I started my RF900 up to let it idle and warm up for a while, was going to fill the tank with fresh gas and all that to winterize it. And maybe get ONE LAST quick ride in before winter blew in !

While idling, it was running just fine, and then all of a sudden it just bogged down and stalled out, as if it ran out of gas.

It still had gas in the tank, about a gallon or so...however, I thought I would slap in another 5 gallons of some fresh from the pump super, just to sorta troubleshoot the issue and be sure it had plenty of gas.

I put in the 5 gallons, and tried to start her up again, NO LUCK ! it just sat there turning over...and over....and over, until ( you guessed it ) the battery died..lol

So, I then broke out the jumper cabled, hooker her up to my car, and tried starting her again, still nothing !! :eek:

I then yanked all the spark plugs and gave em a good cleaning, dripped a little gas down in each of the cylinders just for good measure, reinstalled the plugs...plug wires....and attempted to start it again....NOTHING yet again !!

It just sat there turning, over, and not even a small pop as if it wanted to start...

I DID verify that I DO have spark, and as I said....yes to the gas ! ( At least in the TANK anyway ).

or

I do not own a compression tester anymore, ( used to but lost it over the years ), but I plan to get ahold of one just to rule out that as a possibility.

As far as the carburetor is concerned, I just had it yanked off and cleaned at a Suzuki dealership last summer due to getting bad gas at a Mobile gas station, the station was delivered a bad ethanol mixed batch of gas from the distributor and it has something like 60% ethanol in the batch. Needless to say, when I filled the tank with it, immediately I noticed a SERIOUS degradation in performance of the bike....it went from sport bike...to lawnmower....and a seriously gimped out lawnmower at that !

Mobil corporation paid for the repairs, which cost around $400 when all was said and done....they sent me a check for $1200, lmao....a nice $800 for my troubles !

Anyway, as I said, had the carbs yanked and cleaned, an it ran fine after that, until as I said...it stalled out.

I DO have inline fuel filters I added myself to ensure nothing gets to the carbs from the tank....

So I dunno, what do you guys think?? It's getting close to springtime, and my baby is sitting in the garage, and the last I knew in December it was not running. And I would like to start looking into the issue and getting her purring once again.

Check your fuel pump or take it off and connect the fuel lines and it should start new fuel pump on ebay $40 I had the same problem on my 94 rf900r

Hey guys!

or

1 - 8 of 8 Posts