Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last street bike was a 1994 Honda CBR 600 F2. I am about to buy a FZ6 and was curious if anyone could possibly compare the two for me in terms of power and handling. I really loved my CBR, but now I am gettng a little older really wanted a bike where I wasn't hunched over as much.I've been riding for 17 years and most of those have been on either dirt bikes or "crouch rockets". I am looking for something to cruise around with but still have that pep.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I can't give a comparision to the CBR F2 cause I never had one but I can give you my comparsion of 600cc sportbikes to the FZ6. Power wise I can probably say they are probably the same, maybe the edge would be given to the FZ6 because of fuel injection vs the carbs on an F2. The weight I would say the FZ6 has a few more pounds on it but not as noticable. Handling I would give it to the F2 or any other sportbike in the same class. That doesn't mean the FZ6 doesn't handle well just that the crotch rockets are more geared towards more technical turns at higher rates of speed so obviously they can be flipped around better then the more sitting up position. Brakes and shocks are probably better on the F2 then the FZ6. Some reason Yamaha went to older tech when it came to the front shocks and brakes. The stopping power is adequate enough. But don't think about doing endos cause I don't think they would hold up.

My nutz used to swell to big melons whenever I rode my old sportbike or my friends gixxer, R1's and 6's etc etc. Not on the FZ6.. you can ride for a while before something aches. It's got close to R6 power so zipping from 0 -140 in a few seconds is still pretty darn good for a "standard." I too felt like you when I bought the FZ6... I want a damn better riding position. Actually I was going to get a Harley but happened to stumble upon the Yamaha website. And now I got one and I'm glad I did. Stop and go traffic in the city is less aggravating then on a crotch rocket. Also, with the way you sit up on the bike, that for me when I ride 2-up I feels much safer then on a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know 33 doesn't seem old to you, but when you were a former pro wrestler with really bad knees....you feel really old at 33. :cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
autigerfan72 said:
I've been riding for 17 years and most of those have been on either dirt bikes or "crouch rockets".
Crouch rockets? Is that because you have to "crouch down" to ride it?

I thought they were called crotch rockets.

Oh well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the English lesson. LOL...Sometimes you get in a hurry and not pay attention to what you are typing. :bitchslap Maybe it was just too many chairshots during my wrestling days.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Nobody is going to ask about his pro wrestling roots? :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Nobody is going to ask about his pro wrestling roots? :)

I was thinking the same thing.......
so were you on TV autigerfan72? Tell us about it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I worked mosty indy organizations. I was on tv here and there. I worked in Miss., Al, Tn, Fl, and Ga. I went by Primetime Johnny Allstar. I wrestled for about 5 years till I blew out my knee pretty bad. After that figured it wasn't worth it anymore. Never going to make it to the big time. Are you from Spring Hill Florida? If so, I lived there for a year in 2002-2003.

·
Registered
326 Posts
OK I'll bite... Wow a pro wrestler!!!! Who were you known as? I actually thought of being a wrestler when I was in grade school. Tag Team We were going to call ourselves Los Greengos. But that kinda faded away
Oooops there it is hee hee sorry :beer

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I've been riding for over 22 years, and had and ridden many bikes from a GSXR1100, a 1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma (96 horsepower square four 2 stroke) to a CB-1, Hawk GT, 750 Interceptor, TZR250, YSR50, dirt bikes etc etc etc.

I too bought the FZ6 (just this past week) for the comfort, handling and touring capabilities (husband rides a BMW F650). I have to say that I absolutely LOVE the FZ6. It is super smooth, rides super comfortable, has lots of get up and go, and loves the twisties, not to mention that since I have had it, everywhere I go, people are rubbernecking at my new toy, even cagers and other women! Everytime I park and come into the house to see the family, I can't stop thinking about when I can sneak out again for another ride!

I think you will love it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
they are real close in both handling and power you'll find the fz has 8 more horses and 6 more lb ft. but has 12 more lbs. the suspension on the fz is better because it is more adjustable. the f2 is only adjustable on the rear. for the price of the fz you could buy a 95-98 f3 modify it and smoke alot of newer machines out there. i only paid 2000 for my 96 and have put another 1500 in it. my bike is stronger lighter and handles better than most modern 600 class machines. i'm not so sure about that old crap my dad rides a 141 rear wheel horse rc 51, is 57 yrs old and is trying to compete with evil freekin kinevil for the most accidents involving broken bones.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
boostnsrt said:
they are real close in both handling and power you'll find the fz has 8 more horses and 6 more lb ft. but has 12 more lbs. the suspension on the fz is better because it is more adjustable. the f2 is only adjustable on the rear. for the price of the fz you could buy a 95-98 f3 modify it and smoke alot of newer machines out there. i only paid 2000 for my 96 and have put another 1500 in it. my bike is stronger lighter and handles better than most modern 600 class machines. i'm not so sure about that old crap my dad rides a 141 rear wheel horse rc 51, is 57 yrs old and is trying to compete with evil freekin kinevil for the most accidents involving broken bones.
My f2 is adjustable on the front. And it is stock.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I went from an F4 to the FZ6

The F4 was smoother running, nicer shifting and handled better, but was was too uncomfortable for me (probably because I'm 6'3" tall). The FZ6 was a wonderful "upgrade" for me, as I too am getting older and didn't like getting sore forearms after ten minutes of riding. It's not as sporty as the F4, but it's sexy in a different way and I get a lot of compliments.

I'm disappointed that the FZ6 creates lots more windnoise in my helmet as opposed to the F4. I had them both at the same time for a few months and riding them back to back was interesting. The F4 windscreen was lower than the FZ6 windscreen, which means the FZ6 keeps more wind off of me, but puts my helmet into the boundary layer. I really need to find a solution to this, as I wear earplugs and the noise still drives me crazy. I'm either going to get an aftermarket screen, or cut a stock screen off a few inches lower.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Or try a taller windscreen? Yamaha makes one 3-4 inches taller than stock.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
klouseau said:
Or try a taller windscreen? Yamaha makes one 3-4 inches taller than stock.
Some people have reported that the taller screen actually makes the turbulence worse.

·
Registered
341 Posts
autigerfan72 said:
Thanks for the English lesson. LOL...Sometimes you get in a hurry and not pay attention to what you are typing. :bitchslap Maybe it was just too many chairshots during my wrestling days.
Get an fz6 then come ride down towards birmingham with me. I have a few friends up there at UNA too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
autigerfan72 said:
My last street bike was a 1994 Honda CBR 600 F2. I am about to buy a FZ6 and was curious if anyone could possibly compare the two for me in terms of power and handling. I really loved my CBR, but now I am gettng a little older really wanted a bike where I wasn't hunched over as much.I've been riding for 17 years and most of those have been on either dirt bikes or "crouch rockets". I am looking for something to cruise around with but still have that pep.
I can't help you with a comparison but I love the FZ6...I have bad knees too and the erogos on this one are more comfortable than some of the other sport bikes that caused more extreme bending of the knees...

BTW... War Eagle...I'm in Huntsville.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aburke27 said:
Get an fz6 then come ride down towards birmingham with me. I have a few friends up there at UNA too.
You got it. I work at Cingular in the mall up here. As soon as I get it and get it broke in, I'll take a day off of work and head your way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts