Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Everyone I have a Issue I Just cant Fiqure Out im a Auto/Small Engine/Atv Mechanic And this one is stumping me although i Think i have and idea about it now so maybe you can help I Have a 1992 FZR600 I got as a repair in my shop thinking it just had carb problems i cleaned all the carbs put new jets and harware in them i have the fuel adjusted about 2 1/2 turns out choaks workiing properly. Has Great spark New plugs. Heres the problem the bike just dosent want to start. But if i keep cranking it for about 30mins 45mins It will eventually fire up and run fine and onces it's warm it will fire rite up everytime without a issue. Only when the cylinders are cold will it not start. Now just the other day i did a trick that i do with small engines two and 4 strokes i poured a little oil in each carb and then it fired up. I think it's just worn out but does anyone have any ideas on this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sure sounds like choke(enricher) isn't doing it's job.

I've never heard of putting oil in the carbs. I have heard of putting some oil in the cylinders to bump compression though. Was this the intent? Have you verified low compression? When were the valves last adjusted?

·
Registered
210 Posts
It def sounds like a choke or air/fuel issue.

Try a little bit of starting fluid in the carbs to get it started right away and try some minor adjustments on the carb from that point.

One of my 1st bikes was an old FZR 600 and I used to have to shut the fuel off, choke it and start it, it constantly got flooded so I had to starve it for fuel, get it started then turn the fuel on and let it idle......I ended up making some carb adjustments and never had to do that again.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Are you sure all the chokes are connected to slide rail. When you look down from the airbox, you'll see the choke being pulled on I believe the #2 carb, maybe the #3 carb. That's the carb the lever connects to. Then there's a slide that connects to that carb to open the other three.

The poor man's fix was to attach a pull string on the #1 carb and then close them with the handlebar mounted choke lever.

That carb thing was really common on FZR400's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply And i missed a few things in my first post before i tried the oil I always had to start it with starting fluid takes 45 mins of cranking with the oils it takes it down to about 15 or 20min and i did that because it's still getting down in the chambers and its much eayser then taking the rad off and spark plugs out and no i haven't determined low compression the tester i have dosent have the adapter for theses spark plugs, Far as the choke all 4 are sliding over and just to put out there i know a lot about how a engine works and what it needs to run but i am by no means a Bike Mechanic so if theres anything im missing here please let me know and im not sure on how close the 4 carbs have to be in sync to run i do have a video of the bike running so everyone dosent think im crazy like i said this is one the weirdest things ive incounterd because onces it's started i put 450 Miles on it in one day and it will start right back up as long as the cylinder temp dosent drop below approx 100 degrees

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first concerns wheres the valves ive heard alot of valve problems with these bikes when they get some miles on then How hard is it to adjust them on this type of motor i would assume there Hydraulic Lifters

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first concerns wheres the valves ive heard alot of valve problems with these bikes when they get some miles on then How hard is it to adjust them on this type of motor i would assume there Hydraulic Lifters
Sorry to dig up an old post, but did you ever find the solution? I found a sort of temporary fix was to mess with the idle adjuster a little (keeping in mind the number of turns). It gets it going, then just adjust it back as it warms up. Again, it’s not much of a fix as it sort of lugs the engine which could potentially cause harm to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts