Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking for a little while and reading some stickies, etc. I haven't ridden a bike in over 15 years but been getting a very strong itch again. I rode dirt bikes for about 7 years in my youth, and rode a Honda Nighthawk for about a year and a half in college, mostly highway commuting back and forth from school about 100 miles most weekends to work.

I was initially on the typical 600 SS search until I started reading more here and decided I better start out a little slower since its been so long since I've ridden. I plan on taking the MSF course in the next month or so when my work schedule allows.

I'm definitely planning on buying used and would prefer something cheap, less than $2000 that I could just pay cash for and be done with it. I really don't want to start with a 250, simply because I do have some previous experience and would prefer something a little closer in size and power to what my future bike will be.

In my area, I have found a 2007 500R for $3200, a 2007 GS500F for $3200, and a 1990 FZR 600 for $1800. Both 500's are at local dealers and the FZR is a private sale. The FZR appears very well cared for based on pics and descriptions (new tires, brakes, battery, carb service etc), but its about 60 miles away and I haven't had time to go see it in person.

I'm 5'7" and both 500's seem that they will have have more comfortable riding positions and obviously more forgiving in terms of power, but I would have to finance either of those (not THAT big of a deal but I'd prefer not to). The FZR seems like it might be a bit of a reach as far as seating position, and is obviously less forgiving in the power department, but it's not the same as a modern 600SS, and the price is right. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I kind of like the retro styling of the FZR compared to the other 2.

I do work a lot of hours and living in a condo, my bike will have to be kept in a storage unit (extra $$, which is also why I prefer not have a bike payment in the beginning). My most opportune time to ride will be to/from my Saturday job which is about a 50 mile highway round trip. I also plan to ride around town on Sundays and occasional evenings during the week.

Anyways, I'm here to learn so I will appreciate any comments, opinions, experiences, etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I started on a 92 FZR 600 (in 2007) and could not have been happier with it. It was fast enough without being too fast that I ever felt scared on it.

I loved that bike!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Bring you youth flooding back , buy a classic . Cheap as chips insurance , 30 -40 year old bikes dont depreciate if you dont wreck em . Find another Honda CB or SuzukiGS or Kawasaki Z , If you feel you need to join the tightpants and plastic brigade in a year or so .. when you sell you will get back exactly or more than what you paid .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts