Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
His name is Pepper, he was a gift from my parents for my twelfth birthday(March 2002). I, like most 12 year old kids, wanted a dog. Now that I look back on it, I do not believe my dad knew that my mother was going to get a me a dog. I am sure she told him about the idea, but I do not believe she consultant my father before she got Pepper. They had been divorced since 1996.

dog2.jpg

Pepper overall, has been a good dog. I never fully trained him, but he listens 75% of the time. I can let him out front and he doesn't go to far away and will return most of the time when called, he has gotten better about this in the past couple years, but I believe it is because he has grown old and tired.

When a deer runs across our path, he'll kind of bark at it. He'll get excited jog 10-15 feet and stop. Than just look in the direction the deer went. Pepper, even as a young, strong dog would have never had a chance to catch a deer on his own. And he surely doesn't have a chance now, at his old age of 10 and 3/4 years old.

Pepper doesn't have any real problems of walking or getting around. He doesn't like stairs very much, but gets up/down them if need be. He can get up from a lying position alright, but his problem... His kidneys.

Sometime in 2010, on a normal day; out of the blue for no reason what so ever. Pepper peed the entire kitchen floor. It was a total shock, we had been letting him out on a regular basis. We promptly took him to our good friends, who also are vets. We learned his kidneys were not working properly, and he would have to go on a special diet and take medicine. He was 8 and 3/4 years old.

dog3.jpg

We were directed to give him three pills a day, and were given a bottle containing 90 pills. Which, with simple math... Lasts one month. These pills weren't the cheapest, but it wasn't bad. We have to give Pepper Science Diet K/D, and these pills. A large bag of K/D will last 2.5 months at $75. The pills a month at $40. Time went on and he improved. He didn't pee for the longest time, he was doing well then it happened again... And again. He peed once again. Back to the vet.

We now found out his body wasn't absorbing water well, so he would drink more more. Meaning his bladder was getting full very quickly. We watched his water intake double if not triple in a short period of time. And he didn't eat much. So more pills were needed to combat this new disease. Now, these pills were expensive. We had to go to an actual pharmacie to purchase the new pills. We were to give them three times a day to slowly down to once a week. It was some kind of disease that was somewhat rare to cure. Well, Pepper was lucky and it was "cured". I do not remember the costs, but I know my father was a bit annoyed. Ha. We still have to get him checked every two months or so, which costs $100.

We gave him the pills needed. We paid the costs and all went well for a while, but once again a new problem came about. He randomly started to poo in the house. After the second time he was banned from the house, allowed only in the basement. But he stays outside when weather allows. He does come inside at night time. The vet wasn't 100% sure what was going on, but due to age she gave us some more pills. These pills are suppose to help strengthen his butthole (lack of knowing a better word... :leaving). She wasn't sure if they would help, but they seem to have. He did it a few more times, inside the basement. Mainly at night, so I had a gift when I awoke.

Between his peeing and pooing, we've had a steamer company come by three times this year alone to clean the carpets. This has become a expensive dog in the past two years. And just today, I come home. He has been inside a little to long, same with our second dog (Jimmy a Jack Russel). When I arrived home, he and Jimmy had peed all over the basement floor. Normally, I'll let them out the garage door, but when I opened the door to the basement they ran past me, up the stairs. And of course as soon as Pepper hits the top and walks across the carpet, he starts to pee while walking.................................

I've hit my breaking point. I can no longer take care of my beloved Pepper. He is to much hassle, he costs to much and I am longing for the days I do not have to work my schedule around him or any animal. When I can just go for a motorcycle ride or hang out with friends and not have to worry about getting someone to watch him.

So here it is... As of right now, I plan on putting my beloved dog down. On the 1st of November 2012.

God I love my dog, but like all living creatures. They all die.

dog.jpg

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It's best for both of you, your dog living a nice life................................

It's the hardest part of animal ownership.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
:( Sorry to hear it. At least you had that time with him and gave him a good life. Remember the good times. :hug

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Putting our dogs down was the hardest thing we ever did. It always seemed to be around 13 years and the bonds were real strong. The stories I could tell...

Reactions: coronadozx

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Sorry to hear. Both of mine are young. One is 5, the other not a year old yet. I do not look forward to those days coming. Had to put our old boxer down about 5 years ago and I cried for hours...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I can no longer take care of my beloved Pepper. He is to much hassle, he costs to much.
It's not that you can't, you simply don't want to. It's as you said, the Dog is a hassle to you and is impeding your life style. Yeah you have enough money for a bike but not to take care of your "beloved" dog. Screw you!

I hope when you're shitting your pants as an old person, you heard whomever is taking care of you(if anyone even gives a damn) saying the same thing about you.

"He's so much of a hassle and a burden"
"It so expensive to for his meds'

Reactions: King Cobra

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Give him a break. Having an animal pee and poop all over your floors on a regular basis isn't "impeding your lifestyle". That's a huge problem and it's no fun for the animal either. I had to have a cat I really loved put down for the same reason. It sucks, it's painful, and it's not simply because of selfishness on the owner's part.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
It's not that you can't, you simply don't want to. It's as you said, the Dog is a hassle to you and is impeding your life style. Yeah you have enough money for a bike but not to take care of your "beloved" dog. Screw you!

I hope when you're shitting your pants as an old person, you heard whomever is taking care of you(if anyone even gives a damn) saying the same thing about you.

Wow. What an asshole you are. Seriously. Get fucked.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
OP, so sorry to hear. It's not an easy decision, but sometimes it is necessary. I had to put one of my dogs down earlier in the year.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I had similar things happen with two of my dogs. The choice was this, let both of them live in pain - serious pain while pumping them full of pain medications, and perhaps give them two more months at best, in pain, going to the bathroom all of the time. I took them to the vets numerous times and they kept telling me that it was no good and that they both needed to be put down. It was perhaps the worst decision I ever had to make. I felt it impossible to make the decision - who was I to play G-d with these beings lives? But then I thought, what if it was me and I was dying and not capable for whatever reason - and I wanted my fucking dignity. I will still take the decision to my grave with me. I did my best.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
As most here know, our beloved Rezner was put down a month and a half ago (see avatar). We still have five dogs most of whom are clustered around us as I type this. Since my parents passed we have had no one to watch our babies for us. We never get to take vacations together or even a long day trip anymore. If we are gone four or five hours we know we'd betterbe getting back. We don't have problems with them going in the house but we know they are holding it in and are trying not to put them into too much distress.

We don't mind too much because they are our babies and worship the ground we walk on. A small part of me agrees with whoever said you're doing it more for your convenience than the dog but just a really small part. Sounds like it is time for him and that you have given him a good life. It is really hard losing a pet and I hope you can open your heart to another - hopefully a shelter dog.

One thing that might help with the pooping - our mastiff had a problem where she leaked urine while she sat or laid. The vet gave her estrogen. Maybe testosterone will help your dog?

Sincere condolences for your loss. It won't ever get any easier bit it is always worth it when you see the love in their eyes.

Faithful dog refuses to leave his owner's graveside for six years » DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family « Keywords: faithful dog, loyal, cemetery, argentina

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I had a black lab ( Jetta ) who hated vets but loved to sleep in the car .So when the time came I rigged up a hose from the tail pipe . I helped her into the trunk as her back end had collapsed from hip problems , she was very happy to be in the car . She lay down to go to sleep I started the car and shut the door ..and she just never woke up from that sleep . It could have been no more perfect a way to go for that dog .

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I know it isn't easy, but it has to happen one day. And I know it isn't far away. If I do it on the 1st or I wait later. In all honosty, I'm having second thoughts as of right now. No big surprise though. I'm not 100% sure if I'll go through with it or not...

Would you really want to live if you were shitting yourself and peeing yourself on a regular basis? Having to have someone else clean it up, because you're unable to? As far as the motorcycle, I've ridden maybe 1000 miles in the past two years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts