Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened Thursday night in my area and has caused many debates on different local bike forums.

My first reaction was anger that a 16 year old on a gixxer6 had a 14 year old passenger on the back of his bike. She didn't have the proper size helmet on either.

I feel great sadness towards the family that lost their daughter. But I'm mixed in what I feel towards the 16 year old. He will now have to live with this for the rest of his life.

RIP to the girl that lost her life.

News link

Fatal Crash

A 14-year old girl has been killed in a motorcycle crash on Lake Shore Boulevard. The teenager and a 16-year-old male driver were ejected from the bike when it went out of control around 11:30pm Thursday, hitting the curb and a male pedestrian near British Columbia Drive. The girl suffered fatal head injuries. The driver wound up with broken legs, the pedestrian with a fractured leg. The victim's name isn't being released. Police are still investigating.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here in Ontario anyone can buy anything at pretty well any age for cash privately. It's up to the person selling what ever is being sold. If the guy who sold the bike to this 16 year old saw the cash and was a greedy bastard with no conscience, the bike is sold.

Now to get your bike license, just as easy. You can get your beginner's by going in and writing a test. Pass it and you can ride a bike during the day, not on highways over 80 km/h and no passengers. Take a course for the weekend at the local college, pass that and now you have the license to ride anywhere, anytime and with a passenger. Course costs no more the $400 CDN. Wait 18 months after that course and you can go take the on-road exam and you now have your full license. Also all of the above licensing is for any amount of CC's and any type of bikes.

As for insurance, I have no idea who would insure a 16 year old on a bike like a gixxer6. This 16 year old would need some type of insurance though to get a license plate for the bike. When you go to get the plate at the Ministry of Transportation, they need proof of insurance. Which means either he found an insurance company that would insure him and was paying out of his ass for it or someone else insured it for him.

I don't put as much blame on the parents as I do on the system that we have which allows a 16 year old to be licensed to ride any type of bike. If we had the same license system as say for example the UK, then maybe the rest of us wouldn't be paying so much in insurance and lives wouldn't be lost.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
SMFCPACFP said:
I am not sure what the point of this thread is. Someone get killed on a motorcycle every day. It isn't news, or news worthy. Whether you have a helmet on, or not, whether it fits, or not, hitting blunt objects squarely with your head, mounted on your little neck will kill you, every time. Does anyone doubt this?
Well Steve if you don't see the point of this thread then you're missing a huge part. There are a number of things from this accident that shouldn't be ignored:
1. a 16 year old on a gixxer6
2. a passenger only 14 years old without a proper helmet on
3. experience does count

This forum has many riders and soon to be riders viewing it each and every day. Some come on here for the first time and asks the more experienced ones on here for advice. Some don't understand that when you take another passenger on your bike, you are solely responsible for that person. You are also responsible for making sure that person has the proper equipment on and that it fits properly. Others make take this for granted and if a helmet comes off in an accident, what good is it?
Also experience plays a huge part when riding. Supposedly this 16 year old was cut off by a car but the police also claim that he must have been going at a fast rate as well. I know the road that this accident happened on, speed limit is 60 km/h. Had a car cut out in front of him, if he was more experienced, he would have been going around the speed limit, aware of all cars around him, possibly seen this car coming out of the parking lot, anticipated this, slowed down and covered the brakes. There are no hidden driveways, corners or turns on this road. It's not even a residential area, it's right along the beach with parking lots all down one side.
If this thread makes one person rethink anything they do when riding, especially with passengers, then it has served its purpose. And I think Phly6 already has taken something from this thread.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
cehowardrx7 said:
When you say "take a course"..I assume you mean an MSF course?
This is how our licensing works:

Graduated Licensing for Motorcycle Riders
If you're a new driver applying for your first licence to ride a motorcycle, you'll need to enter Ontario's graduated licensing system. That means you'll earn full driving privileges in two stages.

Class M1
New motorcycle riders with a Class M1 licence learn to ride under these four conditions:

your blood alcohol level must be zero;
you must ride only during daylight hours (1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset);
you must not ride on highways with speed limits of more than 80 km/h except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144, 655;
you cannot carry passengers.
After you pass a motorcycle knowledge test, you will get a Class M1 licence and an information package for new riders. You must spend a minimum of 60 days with a Class M1 licence, which is valid for 90 days.

Motorcycle riders who successfully complete an approved motorcycle safety course that includes a road test with an M1 licence are exempt from taking the ministry's M1 road test and can move to an M2 licence after 60 days. If you complete an approved safety course in either level, you can reduce the time that you must hold an M2 licence from 22 to 18 months. While the motorcycle safety course certificate is valid for two years from its issue date, it may only be used for the M1 road test exemption within six months of its issue date.

See also: Motorcycle Safety Course Providers

Class M2
You must pass an M1 road test or complete an approved motorcycle safety course before receiving a Class M2 licence. You must have a Class M2 licence for a minimum of 22 months. If you complete an approved motorcycle safety course, you may reduce this time requirement by four months. With an M2 licence, you gain more privileges - you may ride at night and on any road. However, at this level:

your blood alcohol level must be zero;
you will be eligible to take a Class M road test after you have completed the time required with an M2 licence;
you must pass this test to get a Class M licence.
Note: Class M2 and Class M licence holders may also drive Class G vehicles under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
SMFCPACFP said:
I find these kinds of threads (the fatal motorcycle accident) to be tedius.

Like everyone else here, I feel very sorry for the families of the dead.
I can understand what you're saying.
There are many threads that I've seen over and over again since being on bike forums for the last 4 years. I stop replying to a lot of threads just because I have no more patience to reply to them. I try to remind myself though that every day there could be a new member on here that is seeing all these threads and topics for the first time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.